In this article, you'll learn how to:
- Manage the templates for your Real-Time and Daily digest emails
- Enable or disable your site's Daily and Weekly consolidated digest emails, and control what content is included in them
Discussions email themes
In addition to the email-template management options discussed in this article, you can use the Discussions tab of the Theme Editor to manage the default colors of your Discussions digest email messages.
TIP: Additional customizations (e.g., indenting, shading) can be made to these digest email messages. For assistance with this, create a case with our Customer Support Team.
Access Digest Templates
To manage digest email settings:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Email > Discussions > Digest Templates.
On the Digest Templates tab, you can manage the templates for the Real-Time and Daily digest email messages sent out from your discussions.
This page comprises three main areas:
In the Common area at the top, you can upload a logo, add header text, and insert custom links to include in both digests.
Daily Digest & Real-Time
In the Daily Digest and Real-Time areas, you can control what content is included in these templates and configure specific settings for this content, including:
- Where the email logo is displayed
- Where Banner and Post advertisements are displayed
- Whether links are included in the emails allowing users to post a message online (i.e., in the actual Discussion) or via the email
- Whether navigation buttons are included allowing users to navigate through the digest's messages
- Whether message buttons are included allowing users to reply to the sender/group online and/or via email
- The thread history to include for each message
- The digest email's Footer
Disable Reply to Sender
Many clients want email digest recipients to reply to the entire discussion, NOT just to the sender, to ensure knowledge is shared with everyone. If you want to prevent email recipients from mistakenly doing this, you can disable the Reply to Sender option in the digest and real time templates.
- In the Daily Digest area, in the Message Buttons and Message Links sections, uncheck the Reply to Sender via Email box.
- Repeat step 1 in the Real Time area below.
TIP: To make it easy to see one of these templates, you can enter your email address in the Test field at the bottom to send a sample digest email to yourself.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
Daily Digest Announcements
Do you want another vehicle to get the word out about upcoming organizational news, events, webinars, etc.? In addition to all the other community tools at your disposal, you can include announcements in daily digest emails.
NOTE: This feature is disabled, by default.
To enable this feature, check the Include Announcements box in the Daily Digest area. You can even set a title and text maximum character limit if you need to ensure announcements are concise.
How does it work?
Once enabled, announcements are pulled from the Announcement List widget for each community.
Announcements posted the previous day will be included in the Daily Digest the next day for that community.
- If you only post one new announcement, it will be the only one included in the Daily Digest.
- If you post multiple announcements in a single day, they'll be displayed in the digest in the order they were posted.
Manage Consolidated Digest Emails
On the Consolidated Digests tab, you can enable or disable your site's Daily and Weekly consolidated digest emails, and control what content is included in them.
This page comprises two main areas:
Enable / Disable
Here, you can enable or disable Daily and Weekly consolidated digest emails. These emails offer users a comprehensive view of all activity occurring in their community during the previous day or week.
NOTE: Enabling a digest doesn't mean users will automatically begin receiving it. They are defaulted to OFF, and users can choose to enable or disable each of these digests on the My Account > Community Notifications page of their profile.
Consolidated Digest Emails Configuration
Use this page to control the position of the community logo and to manage what community content is included in these digests. For the following content types, toggle the Include option to Yes or No to include or exclude it:
- Discussion Posts
- Library Entries
- Question & Answer Posts
- Volunteer Opportunities
For each content type, you can also set the maximum number of characters to display in the emails for both the title and body text. This is a great way to streamline the emails by limiting the size of the content within. Recipients can simply click the content they're interested in to view the full discussion, blog article, etc.
TIP: If you make any changes, be sure to click Save at the bottom of the page.
- Learn how to configure the default delivery settings for digest email messages and send a test digest message in Manage Digest Delivery Settings.