In this guide, you'll learn how to create new records in Salesforce. This guide covers:
- Preparing your data for a Marketing Automation campaign
- Configuring your Marketing Automation campaign
- Marketing Automation and Lead Scoring Campaigns must be enabled for the Real Magnet account
- The Salesforce integration for Marketing Automation must be installed
- The Salesforce user configured for the integration must at least be a Standard User with access to Leads
- Have you assembled your data?
- Create that corresponding field in Real Magnet
- Map the field relationship
- Create a group in Real Magnet that clearly defines its purpose. For this example, we created a group called Real Magnet Upload
- Collect the Campaign ID from Salesforce
Prepare your Data
When you configured your Real Magnet integration account, one of the items added in this configuration was managing which fields are populated when records are created in Salesforce. It is important that you determine which fields uploaded to Real Magnet should be populated in Salesforce for both Leads and Contacts.
EXAMPLE: If you want to populate a custom field in Salesforce called Original Lead Source, you must:
1. Create that corresponding field in Real Magnet.
2. Map the field relationship.
3. Create a group in Real Magnet.
4. Collect the Campaign ID from Salesforce.
NOTE: Do NOT create a Required field in Salesforce without also configuring a default value for that field in Salesforce.
1 - Create the Corresponding Field in Real Magnet
The first step to creating this campaign is to configure a new field in Real Magnet. To complete this action you’ll need to manage your custom fields.
- Click Contacts.
- Click Contacts Tools.
- Click Custom Fields.
- Enter a descriptive name for the field.
NOTE: Custom Fields have a limitation of 100 characters. If this field in Salesforce should have a value exceeding that, create this as an Enhanced Personalized field.
- Click Submit.
2 - Map the Field Relationship
- Navigate to Automation.
- Select Salesforce Integration.
- Select the Salesforce object in the teal box under Map Real Magnet Fields to Salesforce Fields - this will either be Leads or Contacts.
- Click + add another field.
- Select the Real Magnet field created.
- Select the corresponding Salesforce field.
- Click Apply Mappings.
3 - Create a Group in Real Magnet
The group name should be one that clearly defines its purpose. For this example, we created a group called Real Magnet Upload.
- Click Contacts.
- Enter a group name in the white box.
- Click Create New.
4 - Collect the Campaign ID from Salesforce
You should already have a campaign created for this purpose, as with the group name the name of this Salesforce Campaign defines its purpose. This campaign should be active. If you have not already created a Salesforce campaign create one now.
- Click on your Salesforce Campaign
- In the address bar of your browser, you should see an ID – this ID will vary depending on if Lightning has been enabled in Salesforce or not, as you can see in the two images below:
- Copy this ID and paste it in Notepad or something similar, as you will need this ID later.
Configure your Campaign
To create a Lead Scoring Campaign in Automation:
- Navigate to Automation.
- Enter a campaign name.
- Click Go.
- Select your industry.
- Select the Lead Scoring Campaign Type.
- Click Select.
- Select who is in the campaign. In this example:
- Recipients in a Group.
- Select the Group you created for this campaign (e.g., Real Magnet Upload).
- Select Only recipients who are added to a group AFTER the campaign starts.
- Define the Scoring Rule:
- Assign the recipients X points when they're added to the Group you created for this campaign.
- It doesn’t matter how many points are assigned at this stage – unless you're creating a workflow where certain records, like those that met a goal, receive a different number of points. In that case, you'd subsequently create additional scoring rules.
- Create a Threshold:
- When a recipient accumulates X points, give them a tag.
- This value must match the sum of points entered for your Scoring Rule above. If you have a singular rule, this will be whatever value you entered; if you've created multiple rules for the purpose of only creating lead records that have been vetted, you'll want to enter this value for the threshold.
- Integrate this campaign with Salesforce:
- Check Connect this campaign with a specific Salesforce campaign.
- Enter the Campaign ID from Salesforce that was previously collected.
- Select Create new records for this campaign in Salesforce.
- Check whether you would like to create Leads or Contacts.
- Check which thresholds would you like to include – there should only be one for this example.
- Add a Threshold Label this will be set as the records Campaign Status in Salesforce.
- Click Next.
- Review your Campaign. You can see our example below:
- Click Next.
- Schedule your campaign to begin. You can either start it immediately upon deployment or set a date.
- Click End Manually.
- Click Deploy Campaign.
- Wait for your campaign to complete deployment (in the left panel, the Campaign Status will reflect Running).
Once the campaign is deployed, any new record added to the group will also be created in Salesforce. If, of course, this is a new record in Salesforce determined by its email address.
NOTE: Email address is the recommended key field for an integration.
Track your Results
Using Real Magnet's available Marketing Automation tools, you can track the individuals in the campaign in Real Magnet. But to track the records created, focus on the Campaign Members in Salesforce.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if records are being created? You can check the campaign members in Salesforce.