You can use the iMIS Intelligent Query Architect (IQA) to create Higher Logic Thrive Marketing Professional (Thrive Marketing Professional) target groups within iMIS. When it is enabled, new IQA queries in the Thrive Marketing Professional folder in iMIS appear in Thrive Marketing Professional as target groups.
For iMIS IQA to work properly, follow the steps detailed in this article.
QueryService Web Service URL
In Thrive Marketing Professional, navigate to Admin > System Settings > Integration Settings > Edit Integration Settings.
Ensure that the QueryService Web Address from iMIS has been entered properly and that the Active checkbox has been checked. Currently, Thrive Marketing Professional supports the Unauthenticated Query Service type with iMIS.
Check the QueryService Web Service URL
Copy the QueryService Web Service URL inserted above, and then verify that the URL is correct by pasting it in your browser address bar. The website result should look like the image below.
NOTE: If the page returns an error, you may need to add the following line to the system.web section of the web.config:
<pages autoEventWireup="true" enableEventValidation="false" validateRequest="true" clientIDMode="AutoID">
Check your firewall settings to make sure that Thrive Marketing Professional traffic is being allowed.
Secure the QueryService Web Service
The QueryService Web Service gives an administrator access to query results for a specific query or for the default query (if the document folder is specified).
Security for these web services is set in the web.config file, which defaults to (in Windows):
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASI\iMIS\Net\
To use the IQA target groups, set the web.config file value of the AppSetting key secureQueryWebService to “false.” This ensures that you can run the queries properly.
NOTE: By default, the web.config file value of the AppSetting key secureQueryWebService is set to “true.” When this value is “true,” only authenticated users with the SysAdmin role can access or run queries through the QueryService Web Service. When this value is set to "false," anyone can access or run queries through this web service.
Set permissions in the Informz folder
Log in to the iMIS Intelligent Query Architect Desktop Application and set permissions on the Informz folder exactly as shown in the image below:
Set the query security permissions
- Set Access mode to Share (Everyone).
- Click the dropdown and select Everyone Full Control.
Create the query
Create your iMIS IQA query.
NOTE: Special characters are not allowed in the query name.
Set the Query Display Columns and Filter Prompt
Each query must return the ID field. The column name for the field should be “ID” in all capital letters. You must enter “ID” as an Alias if the Property has a different name.
Filter Prompts for parameters must not be used. The Prompts must all be set to “No.”
Refresh available IQA Target Groups
To see your new IQAs in Thrive Marketing Professional:
- Navigate to Subscribers > Groups > Target Groups.
- Select your IQA folder and click Refresh Available IQA Target Groups.
View and update count
To view and update an accurate count for your target group:
- Hover over the Menu icon to the left of your desired target group and select Info.
- Click Resync Now to update the count.
IQA Target Groups troubleshooting
If you are having trouble with your iMIS IQA target groups, look at the following sections to learn more about ways to troubleshoot your IQA problems.
IQA Target Groups do not appear
If IQA target groups do not appear in Thrive Marketing Professional, ask the following questions:
- Is the Informz folder in iMIS IQA created in the root directory? ($/Informz)
- Is the Informz folder named “Informz?” (the folder must be named “Informz”)
- Are the permissions set up correctly? (look at this article to see the setup information)
- Is the QA security Access Mode set to Share Everyone? (edit the IQA list and check on the security tab)
- Are you allowing traffic from the Thrive Marketing Professional IP addresses?
If each of the above conditions is correctly set up, and you are still experiencing problems, there are a few steps that Thrive Marketing Professional can take.
- Ensure that there is an Admin user in your account (required).
- Ensure that the QueryService Web Service address is accurate.
If these conditions are met as well, create a case for further troubleshooting.
IQA Target Group appears and shows errors
You may receive the following target group error:
There was an error refreshing the target group list. Please contact your Advisor.
This generally means that the AppSetting key named secureQueryWebService is set to “true.” When this value is set to true, only authenticated users with SysAdmin roles can run queries through the QueryService user interface. However, when you set this to “false,” anyone can access or run queries through IQA.
To use the IQA target groups, set the web.config file value of the AppSetting key secureQueryWebService to “false.” This ensures that you can run the queries properly. See this article for more details!
NOTE: You may need to restart the services or the server for this change to take effect. Additionally, if you need validation, create a case to see if the following message displays: You must authenticate with the web service before you can use Query Service. If this message displays, the problem is related to the setting above.
IQA Target Group appears and shows zero subscribers
If your target group has a count of zero, there are a couple things you can check.
- Make sure that the query in IQA returns a result greater than zero. If the IQA result is zero, it may mean that query has no results.
- Make sure that the IQA is not “parameterized.” IQA queries must be stand-alone entities that cannot not require values at runtime. To accomplish this, set all Prompts to “No.” This prevents the query from asking questions at runtime.
- Make sure that the iMIS ID Property is displayed. This property needs an Alias of ID (uppercase).
- Confirm the url - some services require www before the url you can update this by going to Admin > System Settings > Edit Integration Settings.