Subscribing to communities that interest you enables you to both post and receive messages directly from your email without even having to log in, making it easy to join, and stay up to date on, the conversations happening across your organization.
Subscribe to a discussion
Upon joining a community, you'll be prompted to either opt-out of its associated Discussion or subscribe via one of three subscription types:
- Real Time - Receive a nearly instantaneous email each time a new message is posted.
- Daily Digest - Receive a single email compiling all posts over a 24-hour period from the chosen community. Delivery time for these emails is generally between 1—5 am EDT (this time frame is not configurable). Depending on your need to keep up with Discussion content, digest subscriptions are a great choice for busy Discussions to prevent your email from being flooded with dozens of messages on a daily basis.
- Plain Text - Like Real Time, you'll receive an email for each new post, except any HTML is stripped out of the message. This option is ideal if you use an email client that doesn't support HTML or simply prefer to receive text-only messages.
NOTE: In addition to these three options, you can also create Daily or Weekly Consolidated Digests, which you can learn more about in the Managing Your Subscriptions section below.
Manage your subscriptions
To manage your community subscriptions, navigate to your profile and select My Account > Community Notifications.
On this page, you can manage your community subscriptions, establish notification overrides, and create Consolidated Digests. Refer to the image below as you read the following descriptions:
- Here, you can set an override email address for both your daily and weekly consolidated digests.
- Below, you can set up override email addresses for any desired community Discussions.
- Toggling this option to YES automatically sets a community's Discussion subscription to No Email if that community is added to a Consolidated Digest. Be sure you understand the difference between Consolidated Digests and Discussion subscriptions before enabling this feature (see the note below).
- Down here, you can manage the subscription type for each community you belong to.
- And here, you can add and remove specific community Discussions into a Daily or Weekly Consolidated Digest by checking/unchecking their associated option. (Consolidated Digests must be enabled by admins, so if you don't have the option to create them, contact your support staff.)
NOTE: By default, all community notifications go to your account's primary email address; however, if you'd like to have emails from specific community Discussions and digests delivered to an alternate address, you can set that up here.
NOTE: Consolidated Digests are different than Discussion subscriptions in two ways:
1. Instead of just Discussion posts, they compile ALL of a community's content, including Library Entries, blog articles, announcements, and events.
2. They DO NOT provide two important features Discussion subscriptions do: (1) Only previews of Discussion posts are included, meaning longer posts are not shown in their entirety (but you can click the links to view them), and (2) you can't reply to messages directly from the Digest email like you can from subscription emails.
For these reasons, Consolidated Digests are typically not the recommended notification type for Discussions, especially if you want the ability to reply via email.