Opt-outs allow your subscribers to stop receiving a specific type of mailing you send from your Marketing Automation Professional (MA Professional) account (rather than universally unsubscribing from all of your mailings). Opt-outs give your subscribers the freedom to choose which mailings they would like to receive and which mailings they would not. While you always need to include a universal unsubscribe link, additional opt-outs mean greater flexibility for your subscribers.
As a best practice, you'll want to create your opt-outs as Interests (see Interest Fields to learn more). There are a few reasons for this: First, you'll be able to see the specifics of each subscriber within an opt-out interest (such as email address). Second, you'll be able to easily manage the use of the opt-out interest within your mailings - simply exclude all members of the opt-out interest.
Creating an Opt-Out Interest
- Navigate to Subscribers > Profile Fields.
- Click Create.
- In the Add New Profile Field window, select Interest from the menu.
- In the Add Interest window, enter a name, target group folder, and description for your opt-out interest. As a best practice, and to keep everything aligned, always name your opt-out interest in a way that parallels your main interest. For example, if your main interest is named "Training," your opt-out interest might be named "Training Opt-Out."
- Click Save. Your new opt-out interest now appears in the list of interests.
Adding an Opt-Out Link to Your Mailing Template
Once you've established your opt-out interest, it is time to add it to your mailing template.
- Navigate to Mailings > Templates > View to view a list of all of your existing templates.
- Identify the template you want to modify. Hover over the corresponding menu icon and select HTML to open the HTML Editor.
- In the template footer, identify a location for your opt-out interest link and click the Insert/Edit Hyperlink button in the toolbar.
- In the resulting window, use the following options:
- Hyperlink Type - Opt-Out Link.
- Opt-Out Form - Select the subscription form for your opt-out interest (the default form is always available).
- Name - The name of the opt-out.
- Click Insert Hyperlink. The opt-out link now displays in the mailing template footer.
Applying the Opt-Out Interest to Your Mailing
With your opt-out link placed in your template's footer, you're ready to apply the opt-out interest to your mailing.
- Navigate to Mailings > View.
- Identify the mailing you need to modify. Hover over the corresponding menu icon and select Edit to open the Mailing Designer. (alternatively, you can create a new mailing)
- On the Set-Up tab, scroll down and expand the Advanced heading. The Select Opt-Out Link field is available because you're using a template with an opt-out link.
- Click Edit to the right of the Select Opt-Out Link field.
- In the resulting window, click the Select Informz Opt-Out Interest radio button. The window expands to include two new dropdown lists: Action and Interest.
- Set the Action to Add To and set the Interest to the new opt-out interest that you've created.
- Click Update to save your changes. Now, anyone who chooses to opt out of your mailing becomes a member of the selected opt-out interest.
Excluding Your Opt-Outs from Mailings
Now that you have an opt-out interest set up that resides in a template and a mailing, you'll need to exclude that group from your mailings. There are two ways to do this:
- Use the Set-Up tab in the Mailing Designer.
- Create a compound target group that excludes the opt-out interest.
NOTE: This article discusses the former method. To learn more about creating compound target groups, click here.
To exclude an Opt-Out group from a mailing:
- Return to the Set-Up tab, and then scroll down and expand the Advanced section.
- Click Edit to the right of the Do not send to field.
- In the Do Not Send Mailing To window, check the Those in the following Target Groups(s) checkbox. The window expands, allowing you to select the desired target group.
- Click the Target dropdown list and select your opt-out interest.
- Click Add to List to add your opt-out interest as an excluded target group.
- Click Update.
Now, when you send your mailing, you'll exclude everyone who has joined the opt-out interest.
Opt-Out information is a critical component when it comes to understanding your subscriber base. MA Professional offers information about all your opt-outs to ensure that you are on top of this data.
Viewing Opt-Out Details
- Navigate to Subscribers > Profile Fields.
- Click the dropdown list and select Opt-Outs.
- Click your desired opt-out to open the Opt-Out Info window. This window contains three tabs: Edit, Counts, and Subscribers. Let's take a look at each tab now.
This tab contains the opt-out name and description, as well as an option to transfer interests using the Interest Transfer button (which lets you transfer interests into the opt-out group).
This tab shows two rows of information:
- Number of Subscribers - The total number of opted-out subscribers.
- Number of Distinct Email Addresses - The total number of unique/distinct email addresses associated with the opt-out.
This tab contains a table with columns for Email, Subscribe Date, and Opt-Out Date. You can remove emails from the list by checking the corresponding checkbox and clicking Remove.