Web Tracking Target Groups are a great addition to your Target Groups-driven data-collection "arsenal" because they have a unique focus as compared to the others.
Web Tracking Target Groups make it easy to generate groups of subscribers that are based on the actions they have (or have not) taken during visits to your website — as opposed to their engagement (or not) with a mailing.
The website-based actions that are tracked are visits, interactions, and purchases. Each action:
- must have its own Target Group and
- has unique Target Group configuration options.
Having these Target Groups makes it easier for you to:
- follow up with website visitors so you can cultivate their interests (which you learn based on their activities), and
- add them to appropriate Campaigns.
This article describes how to create and configure a Web Tracking Target Group.
Before you begin...
Before you start creating a Target Group, review the following notes and recommendations.
When creating a Web Tracking Target Group, there are numerous date, date range, action, and action condition configuration combinations, resulting in numerous possible permutations.
TIP: Review the configuration steps in this article prior to starting the create process to better understand, for example, how the Date options will work and how you want to set up the Action setting. This will increase the likelihood that you'll capture exactly the data that you want.
All Target Groups are placed into a folder (Main Folder, by default). You cannot create a folder for your Target Group as you create the Target Group.
TIP: Create whatever folders you want for your Web Tracking Target Group prior to starting the create process. This will save time later because you won't have to hunt for the new Target Group and move it to the appropriate folder.
Learn how to create a folder in Manage your Target Groups.
Access your Target Groups
To access your Target Groups:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Classic admin interface - Navigate to Subscribers >Target Groups
- New Admin Experience (used in this article) - Navigate to Contacts > Groups
Create a Web Tracking Target Group
To create a Web Tracking Target Group:
- To the right of the page title, click Create.
- Click the dropdown, select Web Tracking, and click Create.
- On the dialog, complete all of the required fields as described below.
TIP: If you don't choose a folder, the Target Group will be stored in Main Folder; refer to Folders, above.
- Specify a unique Name for the Target Group and, optionally, choose a Folder to store it in.
- Select a Date option and specify the value for when the action will happen or has happened:
- on any date (past, future);
- a pre-configured period of time that you select (1–6 days or a period of weeks);
- a custom date range (between two dates that you select);
- on any date (past, future) after a specified date.
- Select an Action option and specify the conditions of the Action:
- the web page URL;
- tags that have been applied to a web page;
- the interactions, with or without a value;
- the purchased items.
- Complete the Info field (e.g., a clear description of what data the Target Group is collecting).
- Click Create Target Group.
- On the Target Groups list page, verify that your new Target Group is listed and in the correct folder.