Message templates are a great way to create a re-usable "layout" that can then be the foundation for future messages, but also easily customized with single-use information, such as dates and locations. In this article, we'll take a look at managing your templates on the Templates page.
To manage your templates:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Messages > Templates.
TIP: On the Templates page, click a column header to sort on that column. Click the columns count below the list to add and remove columns in the current view.
NOTE: Your column selections will remain in effect until you change them—even if you end the session and log in again.
The Templates page displays all of your templates. There are two features that you can use to refine the list and more quickly locate a template: search and folders.
Search for Templates
Click the magnifying glass icon to and type letters, numbers, and special characters to limit the number of templates displayed in the list so that you can more quickly find the template you want.
- The search field is not case-sensitive. You can type "news" to find "Newsletter" templates.
- Click the X to clear the field and restore the original full list.
Templates in folders
You can also narrow the list by selecting a different folder (if your organization has created any).
- Click the folder icon.
- In the Folders dialog, click the ellipsis menu to access the folder options, and select View.
The list will refresh, the folder name will display in the page title, and the folder icon will be solid orange (indicating that folder is in effect). To view the templates that are in a different folder, repeat this process selecting that folder.
NOTE: You can only simultaneously view the contents of multiple folders by viewing all folders.
To return to the original full list of templates, click the folder icon and click View All at the top of the Folders dialog.
Learn more about folders below, in Manage Folders.
Create a Template
- Click the plus sign to the right of the page title.
- On the dialog, accept the default template type (Template Designer) or click the dropdown to choose a different type; click Create.
- On the template-selection page, choose whether to:
- Use the Blank Canvas template to create a new template with no existing design elements. This option is exclusive to the Template Gallery tab.
- Use an existing template (from either the Template Gallery tab or the Your Templates tab) as the foundation and make changes to it to design a new template.
NOTE: See Templates to learn more about creating templates via both these methods.
The Preview Panel
Select a template to view and edit its details in the Preview Panel. (Click the template again to deselect it and close the Preview Panel.)
In the Preview Panel, you can:
- View and edit the template Name, Friendly From, From, and Reply To fields (indicated by a dashed underline) by clicking the field and specifying a different value.
- Scroll down in the panel to see counts of "times used" and "unsubscribes" for the template.
NOTE: The Cancel and Save buttons will appear at the bottom of the panel only if you make changes in the panel.
Edit, copy, delete, and move a Template
You can edit, copy, delete, and move templates. These options are available above the list and can be performed only on individual (not multiple) templates.
To act on a template, click to select it, then:
To edit a template:
- Click Edit.
- In the Template Designer, make changes to the template and be sure to click Save.
To copy a template:
- Click Copy.
- Type a new name for the template (or accept the default of "Copy of...") and click Copy.
Verify that the copied template displays in the templates list.
To delete a template:
- Click More and select Delete.
- Click Delete at the confirmation prompt.
The template no longer appears in the templates list.
To move a template:
- Click More and select Move.
- Select a folder and click Move.
TIP: View the target folder (refer to Templates in folders, above) to confirm that the template was moved.
Export the list of Templates
You can export the list of your organization's templates. The exported file will be in .csv format which you can then customize.
NOTE: The export action is specific to your current folder view. For example, if you're viewing the list of templates in your Newsletter folder, only those newsletter-based templates will be included in the export. To export a full list of all your templates, make sure you're in the All view.
- Click the export icon.
- On your operating system's "save" panel, give the file a memorable name, navigate to a save location, and complete the export.
NOTE: The exported file will include all of the columns on the Templates list page, irrespective of which columns are displayed when you generate the export.
TIP: By grouping your templates into folders, you can then select a folder to isolate that group of templates for more efficient management.
You can rename, delete, and create folders from the Templates page. All of these options are performed on the Folders dialog (click the folder icon); then:
To create a folder:
- Click New Folder.
- Specify a name for the folder and press Enter.
The new folder displays in the folders list.
To rename a folder:
- Click a folder's ellipsis menu and select Rename.
- Type a new name for the folder and press Enter.
The renamed folder displays in the folders list.
To delete a folder:
- Click a folder's ellipsis menu and select Delete.
- Click Delete at the confirmation prompt.
The folder no longer appears in the folders list.
Click Close to return to the list of templates.