Message templates are a great way to create a re-usable "layout" that can then be the foundation for future messages, but also easily customized with single-use information, such as dates and locations. In this article, we'll take a look at managing your templates on the Templates page.
Watch the video
To manage your templates:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Messages > Templates.
TIP: Click a column header to sort on that column. Click the columns count below the list to add and remove columns in the current view.
NOTE: Your column selections will remain in effect until you change them—even if you end the session and log in again.
Create a template
- Click the plus sign to the right of the page title.
- Depending on your account, you may be able to choose from up to three template creation methods:
- Template Designer - This is the latest (and recommended) editor, known as Template Designer 2. See Create Templates (TD 2)
- Standard and Advanced - These two methods are what you'll use if your organization is using the classic editor, known as Template Designer 1. See Create Templates (TD 1)
The Preview Panel
Select a template to view and edit its details in the Preview Panel. (Click the template again to deselect it and close the Preview Panel.)
In the Preview Panel, you can:
- View the template Name, Friendly From, From, and Reply To fields. All fields with a dashed underline can be edited directly in the Preview Panel.
- Scroll down in the panel to see counts of "times used" and "unsubscribes" for the template.
NOTE: The Cancel and Save buttons will appear at the bottom of the panel if you make changes.
After selecting a template, you can perform several management actions using the buttons above the list.
- Select a template and click Edit to make updates in the template's associated editor.
- Select a template and click Copy to make a copy of a template with a different name.
- Select a template and click More > Delete, and then confirm the deletion in the pop-up.
- Select a template and click More > Move, select which folder to move it to, and then click Move at the bottom of the dialog.
Template Designer 1 templates have a few additional options available in the More menu, each allowing to manage various aspects of the TD1 template.
Click the magnifying glass icon to expand a search field, allowing you to find specific messages. The list will automatically update with each typed character and display all records (visible and hidden) that contain a match against all list fields.
- The search field is not case-sensitive: You can type "news" to find "Newsletter" templates.
- Click the X to clear the field and restore the original list.
You can organize your templates by grouping similar or related templates into folders. Because the Templates list displays all of your templates by default, organizing your templates into folders enables you to isolate a group of templates to more easily work with and manage them.
TIP: Create folders and organize your templates from the beginning; otherwise, it will be a more time consuming and difficult task doing so after dozens of templates have been created. When creating your templates, you'll be able to select which folder to store it in.
To manage your folders, click the folder icon.
In the dialog, you can:
Click New Folder, enter a name, and press Enter to add a folder. It will now be selectable during template creation.
Click a folder's ellipsis icon to access the following options:
- View - View the folder on its own list page with the templates that it contains.
NOTE: When you're viewing a specific folder, its name is displayed above the list and the folder icon displays as solid orange.
If you're viewing a specific folder, click the folder icon again, followed by the View All button to once again view all templates.
- Rename - Rename this folder.
- Delete - Delete this folder.
NOTE: You cannot rename or delete the Main folder.
Export the list of templates
You can export the list of your organization's templates. The exported file will be in .csv format which you can then customize.
NOTE: The export action is specific to your current folder view. For example, if you're viewing the list of templates in your Newsletter folder, only those newsletter-based templates will be included in the export. To export a full list of all your templates, make sure you're in the All view.
- Click the export icon.
- On your operating system's "save" panel, give the file a memorable name, navigate to a save location, and complete the export.
NOTE: The exported file will include all of the columns on the Templates list page, irrespective of which columns are displayed when you generate the export.