In this article, you'll learn how to hide and delete both pages and their content.
What's the difference between hiding, deleting, and archiving?
- Hiding - A hidden page is indirectly accessible, not directly accessible. This is often used for pages you just want to link to from something like a discussion post, blog article, or email.
- Deleting - If archiving or hiding don't meet your needs, you can permanently remove a page and all its content. You should only ever delete a page if you're absolutely sure it's won't be needed in the future AND it's not one of the Higher Logic pages that came provisioned with your community.
- Archiving - There are two main reasons you'll likely want to archive a page: (1) You want to temporarily take a page offline to make updates; (2) you don't want a page accessible in your community anymore but you want to keep it around for use in the future.
NOTE: See Archive Pages to learn more.
Not all of your pages need to be directly visible in your community navigation to serve a purpose. For example, many pages are created for the express purpose of being linked to from other pages, an email, a blog article, etc. This is achieved by hiding them.
TIP: We generally recommend hiding pages instead of deleting them, unless you're absolutely sure a page won't be needed in the future.
To hide a page:
- Select the page in the CMS.
- In the Page Properties to the right, uncheck the Visible in Navigation box.
- Click Publish to finalize this setting and hide the page.
In the Navigation Tree, hidden pages are indicated by an eye icon, as shown below:
NOTE: Remember that hiding a page doesn't mean it can't be viewed by your users, only that it's not directly visible in your community's navigation structure. If someone bookmarked the page or has its URL, they can still access it.
Sometimes, hiding a page isn't enough and permanent deletion is desired.
WARNING: Deleting a page permanently removes any associated child pages and content. The best-practice is to NOT delete pages, unless you're certain you'll never need it again in the future.
WARNING: When deleting a page, be mindful of links across your community that may point to it. Your members will receive an error if they try to access a link to a page that no longer exists.
WARNING: Never delete pages that came provisioned with your community, as these serve important, often behind-the-scenes, functions the loss of which can have drastic consequences across your community.
To delete a page:
- Select the page in the Navigation Tree.
- Select Delete from its ellipsis menu.
- Click Yes in the confirmation popup. The page, along with any associated child pages and content, is now permanently deleted.
Hide page content
If there's content you want to remove from a page, you're not limited to permanent deletion: Hiding content is often a better choice, especially if it's something you may want to use again in the future.
To hide content:
- Select the page in the CMS containing the content you want to hide.
- Click Edit.
- On the canvas, select the content you want to hide.
- In its Page Properties to the right, check the Hide box. The content now has a red slash, indicating it's hidden.
- Click Publish at the bottom of the page to finalize this setting.
Delete page content
If you want to permanently remove content from a page:
- Select the page in the Navigation Tree containing the content you want to remove.
- Click Edit.
- On the canvas, select the content you want to delete.
- Click the Trashcan icon.
- Click Delete in the confirmation pop-up.
- Click Publish at the bottom of the page to finalize the deletion.