In this article, you'll learn how to hide and delete both pages and their content.
What's the difference between hiding, deleting, and archiving?
- Hiding - A hidden page is indirectly accessible, not directly accessible. This is often used for pages you just want to link to from something like a discussion post, blog article, or email.
- Deleting - If archiving or hiding don't meet your needs, you can permanently remove a page and all its content. You should only ever delete a page if you're absolutely sure it's won't be needed in the future AND it's not one of the Higher Logic pages that came provisioned with your site.
- Archiving - There are two main reasons you'll likely want to archive a page: (1) You want to temporarily take a page offline to make updates; (2) you don't want a page accessible on your site anymore but you want to keep it around for use in the future.
NOTE: See Archive Pages to learn more.
Not all of your pages need to be directly visible in your site navigation to serve a purpose. For example, many pages are created for the express purpose of being linked to from other pages, an email, a blog article, etc. This is achieved by hiding them.
TIP: We generally recommend hiding pages instead of deleting them, unless you're absolutely sure a page won't be needed in the future.
To hide a page:
- Select the page in the CMS.
- In the Page Properties to the right, uncheck the Visible in Navigation box.
- Click Publish to finalize this setting and hide the page.
In the Navigation Tree, hidden pages are indicated by an eye icon, as shown below:
NOTE: Remember that hiding a page doesn't mean it can't be viewed by your users, only that it's not directly visible in your community site's navigation structure.
Sometimes, hiding a page isn't enough and permanent deletion is desired.
WARNING: Deleting a page permanently removes any associated sub-pages and content. The best-practice is to NOT delete pages, unless you're certain you'll never need it again in the future.
WARNING: When deleting a page, be mindful of links across your community site that may point to it. Your members will receive an error if they try to access a link to a page that no longer exists.
WARNING: Never delete pages that came provisioned with your site, as these serve important, often behind-the-scenes, functions the loss of which can have drastic consequences across your site.
To delete a page:
- Select the page in the Navigation Tree.
- Select Delete from its elipsis menu.
- Click Yes in the confirmation pop-up. The page, along with any associated sub-pages and content, is now permanently deleted.
Hide page content
If there's content you want to remove from a page, you're not limited to permanent deletion: Hiding content is often a better choice, especially if it's something you may want to use again in the future.
To hide content:
- Select the page in the CMS containing the content you want to hide.
- Click Edit.
- On the canvas, select the content you want to hide.
- In its Page Properties to the right, check the Hide box. The content now has a red slash, indicating it is hidden.
- Click Publish at the bottom of the page to finalize this setting.
Delete page content
If you want to permanently remove content from a page:
- Select the page in the Navigation Tree containing the content you want to remove.
- Click Edit.
- On the canvas, select the content you want to delete.
- Click the Trashcan icon.
- Click Delete in the confirmation pop-up.
- Click Publish at the bottom of the page to finalize the deletion.