At any time, you can add and remove custom demographics to and from your site's user profiles, giving your organization complete freedom over the types of information you want to capture from your members.
To manage your custom demographics:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Users > Demographics.
On the Demographics page, you can create and manage custom demographics (called Categories) that can be added to your site's user profiles.
Follow the steps below to create and publish a custom demographic:
- Click the plus sign to the right of the page title.
- Configure its settings in the resulting dialog.
Give your demographic a name.
NOTE: The content items will be automatically updated if a demographic's name is changed.
|Description||Describe your demographic.|
|Show Description on Profile||Controls whether users can see the description on their profile.|
Controls whether users can select more than one value.
|Allow Free Text||
Controls whether users can enter their own demographic value(s), in addition to selecting the created value(s).
|Include in Networks||
Controls whether an automatic network is created when two or more users choose the same value(s).
|Applies to People||Controls whether this demographic is only available to users.|
|Applies to Companies||Controls whether this demographic is only available to groups.|
|NOTE: The remaining fields apply only to Mentor/Mentee profiles, and can be ignored if you don't use the Mentoring module|
|Mentor/Mentee May Have Different Values||Controls whether users who are both a Mentor and Mentee can choose different values for each role.|
|Required for Mentor Enrollment||Controls whether users must complete this demographic to become a Mentor.|
|Required for Mentee Enrollment||Controls whether users must complete this demographic to become a Mentee.|
|Required for Mentor/Mentee Match||Controls whether a Mentor and Mentee must have chosen the same value(s) to match.|
- Click Save to add your new demographic to the list.
Step 2 - Add Values to your Demographic
- Select your demographic and click Edit Choices.
- Click the plus sign to the right of the page title, and add your first value in the resulting dialog:
- Give it a name.
- Provide a description (optional).
- Set the value's priority (optional).
NOTE: Demographics may be prioritized to appear in the list in a specific order. The Priority input accepts a number from 1 (highest priority) to 1000 (lowest priority). Demographics with a priority will always appear above those without a designated priority. If a priority is not set, the demographics appear in alphabetical order.
- Click Save.
- Repeat these steps to add any additional values to the demographic category. When finished, click the X at the top right to return to the Demographics page.
Step 3 - Order your Values
By default, demographic values are ordered alphabetically. If your values don't require a specific order, you can skip to Step 4; if they do, while editing a demographic's choices, click the gear icon at the top right. Then, assign numbers from 1 (highest priority) to 1000 (lowest priority) to each value.
NOTE: When ordering by priority, any values without set priorities will display after those with set priorities and be sorted in alphabetical order.
Now, when users add one or more values for this demographic on their profile, they'll see them listed in the priority you set.
NOTE: Ordering your values by priority also determines their order if added to your site search.
NOTE: All Demographics added to your site(s) are searchable via an Advanced Search.
- Select your demographic and click Manage Publication.
- In the resulting dialog, make your selections to:
- Include your demographic on the account creation page.
- Add your demographic to the profiles on your community site.
- Make your demographic searchable on your community site.
- Click Save to make your selections live.
NOTE: If your organization licenses Microsites, you'll have the flexibility to add your demographic to the profiles/site search for the site you're currently editing or ALL sites (i.e., your main site and any Microsites).
NOTE: Select a demographic and click Manage Publication at any time to remove a demographic from your site(s) and search(es).
Select a demographic in the list to access the following options:
- Click Edit Choices to update a demographic's values. You can edit their names, descriptions, and priorities, and even move a value to a different demographic in the Preview Panel. In addition, click the gear icon at the top right to set whether values are listed by their priorities or in alphabetical order.
- Click Edit Category to update a demographic's details and settings. Refer to the Step 1 - Create & Configure Settings section above for descriptions of each setting.
- Click Manage Publication to change a demographic's publish settings. Refer to the Step 4 - Publish your Demographic to make it live and/or searchable on your site section above to learn more.
- Click the More menu to copy or delete a demographic.