Building a Personalization Target Group lets you focus your message around your contacts' personal information, which can be any details you gather about them, from organization to city of residence to favorite color. Personalization Target Groups are built from specific Personal Info fields (see Personal Info Fields to learn more).
Create a Personalization Target Group
In this article, we'll illustrate creating a Personalization Target Group based on the following example: we've built profile fields for everyone in the sample set below. In this example, we will build a Target Group for everyone with a company of "ABC."
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Contacts > Groups.
- Click Create.
- Select Personalization from the menu, followed by Create in the pop-up.
- Enter a Name for your Target Group in the corresponding field. Then, select a folder for your Target Group.
- Click Next.
- Click the Personalization Fields menu and select the personalization field to target. The page will expand to show the Target Type and Target Values options:
- Target Type - These options allow you to select your target type. You can choose to target completed or blank values, specific values, or value ranges.
- Target Values - These fields allow you to specify your target values.
- Define your desired Target Type option(s), along with their associated Target Value(s).
- Click Update to create your Personalization Target Group.
NOTE: You can also use the percent sign (%) as a “wild card” value. Wild cards will account for variations within the Personalization. For example, if you enter the value “ABC%,” the Target Group will include all variations, such as "ABC," "ABC Association," "ABC Incorporated," etc.
You can place wild cards before and after the value, as shown below:
1 - ABC% (all variations after the value)
2 - %ABC (all variations before the value)
3 - %ABC% (all variations before and after the value)
Be careful when using the wild card before and after the value. If the exact value exists for different entries (such as “The ABC Association” and “ABCO Inc.” – two different entities), the Target Group will capture both values.