Your Higher Logic site's Home page is typically the first page members see upon logging in, making it one of the most viewed pages across your site. Fortunately, much of its content can be customized easily, in minutes, using our In-Context Editing feature. This enables admins to update content directly on the page without having to work in the CMS or Page Designer.
NOTE: To learn more about In-context Editing, including how to enable it, see Enable In-Context Editing for HTML Content.
NOTE: Super Admins and, depending on widget permissions, Site Admins can edit content in this way.
How it works
You'll see several small, semi-transparent edit buttons associated to several areas of the page. As shown below, hovering over a button highlights its associated content, making it easy to see what each one controls.
NOTE: To learn how to update your site footer, see Update Your Site Footer.
Upon clicking one of these edit buttons, you'll be presented with the Content Editor, where you can make your changes using the various text-formatting options, the HTML editor, and more. When finished, click Save to apply them.
NOTE: See Content Editor to learn more about the editor's options. All Home page editing is accomplished with the Advanced Editor, so refer to that section, and subsequent sections, in the article.
Updating the slide carousel
NOTE: Your Higher Logic site may not have or use this widget.
At the top of the page is the slide carousel, typically featuring several slides containing images and/or text members can view by clicking either the left/right arrows or the circular buttons at the bottom (highlighted below).
Updating these slides is easy, but there is a small nuance to the process: you have to update them individually. To do so, click to view the slide you want to update first (via the arrows or buttons), and then click the small edit button at the top right. A Content Editor for that specific slide displays:
In the editor, you can:
- Update existing text using the various formatting options.
- Update an existing image (refer to the Updating images section below)
Several content sections on your Home page include images. Let's learn how to update them.
- Click the edit button for a content section to display the Content Editor.
- Click an image in the editor to select it (it is now highlighted).
- Click the Insert/edit image button in the toolbar to open the Insert/edit image dialog.
- Click the folder icon to display the Image Uploader tool.
- You have two options: navigate your folder structure to locate an existing image (i.e., one that has already been uploaded) or click the Upload button to upload a new image. To complete this process, just follow the prompts.
- Once you've selected an image, click Insert to close the Image Uploader tool.
- Click Ok to close the Insert/edit image dialog.
- Lastly, click Save to apply your change.
Recommended image dimensions
- All images are rectangles, so as long as their width is ~800px, the CSS will automatically scale them appropriately.
Let's take a look at how to update text links and add your own.
- Click the edit button associated to a content section with links to display the Content Editor.
- In the editor, click a link to select it (it is now highlighted).
- Click the Insert/edit link button in the toolbar to open the Insert link dialog.
- You can now update the link's URL, the text you want to display in its place, and its target (i.e., whether a new browser window should open upon clicking it). We recommend setting link targets to New Window so users are not navigated away from your site when clicking links.
- Click Ok to close the Insert link dialog.
- Click Save to apply your change.