Libraries are a core element of your Higher Logic Thrive Community (Thrive Community) experience. Through your community Library, users can share a variety of file types (including multimedia) that other users can comment on and recommend.
Files are directly uploaded to what are called Library Entries, and are then available for download by other users; further, multimedia entries can be viewed right on the page and even embedded on other web pages.
NOTE: Libraries are typically associated to a community; however, stand-alone Libraries can be created.
Watch the video
Access Library Entries
Library Entries can be accessed several ways. The Entries that you'll see are dependent on:
- community-specific "view" settings,
- your permissions and memberships, and
- which Library (an individual community or entire Thrive Community site) you access, as described in the sections that follow.
Single community Library
If you navigate to an individual community and click the Library tab, you'll see only that community's Entries.
All available Library Entries
If you navigate to the Library Entries page, you'll see all community Entries that are not restricted by permissions.
NOTE: The path to the Library Entries page can be customized (i.e., relabeled) in each Thrive Community site. The path (Browse > Library Entries) shown below is the default Higher Logic path.
The image below shows the Library Entries page. Note that, because this is not an individual community, the Entry's host community is a clickable link in the Featured Card Row and the listing.
Library Entries page walkthrough
The Library Entries page has a fresh, modern look with a variety of options and features to enhance user engagement and increase participation. Let's look at some of these options and features.
|Featured Card Row||
Entries display in a "carousel" at the top of the page.
NOTE: Admins can turn this Featured Card Row on and off, and decide whether to display pinned Entries, the most viewed Entries, or a combination of both.
This flyout panel appears when you click an Entry in the list. It has information about that Entry, sections for comments and links, and a dedicated ellipsis menu to take actions on that Entry.
|Library Entries Views||
You can display Entries in the Row, Card, or Admin view. To learn more, see Available Library views in Library Views & Filters.
|Filter and Sort||
Use these options to refine which Entries display in the list. To learn more, see Filter and sort Entries in Library Views & Filters.
|Ellipsis (...) menus||
There are several ellipsis (...) menus on the page. To learn more about the options, see Entry management options in Manage Library Entries.
This panel opens to reveal the Library folders. Choose a folder to see its Entries. To learn more, see Manage Folders & Move Entries. Admins can manage folders right on the page.
Featured Card Row
In the upper part of the page, Library Entries display as cards in a "carousel." Click the left and right arrows to scroll through the Entries.
NOTE: Once the redesigned Library is fully released, Super Admins will be able to choose whether this Featured Card Row is enabled or disabled, and configure its widget parameters. During this preview phase, however, it is here in a "view only" state.
On each card, you can:
- See who posted the content and when,
- Click the poster's name to visit their Profile page,
- See the number of views and downloads,
- See that an Entry has been pinned, and
- Click the ellipsis (...) menu to take an action (see Entry management options in Manage Library Entries).
- Clicking the poster's name, View Entry Page, and Edit open new pages in this tab. To keep this page open, use your browser's "open in new tab" option, usually a right-click selection.
- If you choose Mark as Inappropriate from the ellipsis (...) menu, the Entry will be placed into moderation and immediately removed from the Featured Card Row.
- If you choose Mark as Inappropriate and the Entry is an attachment to a (Discussion or Question) post, the Entry and the post will not be viewable until an admin approves the Entry.
WARNING: The Delete option permanently removes the Library Entry from the community, as opposed to simply removing it from the Featured Card Row. Use this option with discretion.
Admins can delete any entry; whereas users can delete only their own entries.
Customize the Library Entries list
The list of Library Entries can be customized by choosing a view, sort order, and/or filter. Use any or all of these options to customize which Entries display and how.
TIP: Use the sort and filtering options in conjunction with one another to refine large lists.
NOTE: To learn more about the Entries views, sort options, and filtering options, see Library Views & Filters.
When you click a Library Entry, in any of the views, a panel opens to display that Entry's details.
In the Details Panel, you can:
- Recommend the Entry
- View and download files
NOTE: Some files have navigate-&-save functionality; others open in the current tab. Be sure to click Back (not X) after viewing the file if you want to return to the Library Entries page.
- Add a comment
- Add a link to community content that is related to this topic
- Click the ellipsis (...) menu to access other options as described in Entry management options in Manage Library Entries.
NOTE: For a comprehensive look at the Details Panel, see Manage Library Entries.
The ellipsis (...) menu is available for each Library Entry in the Featured Card Row, all three list views, and the Details Panel.
- The same options are presented in the ellipsis (...) menu in each location.
- The actions that are initiated from any one ellipsis (...) menu are applicable to only the Entry from which the menu was accessed.
TIP: To learn more about the ellipsis (...) menu options, see Entry management options in Manage Library Entries.
If your Thrive Community is associated with a third-party integrated database, some library activities in your Community can be written to that database during the standard activity-sync process.
- Navigate to Settings > External Content > Activity Sync in the Admin interface in order to manage writeback activities on the Subscriptions tab.
To learn about the activity-sync process, see Member Activity Sync.