Higher Logic's Moderation feature gives Community and Super Admins the ability to make sure that new user-created content is reviewed and approved before it is made public on any of their site's communities. This feature is often used in public communities to ensure that content is properly vetted prior to being made available.
Community and Super Admins can enable moderation for the following types of user-created content.
- Discussion posts (including Questions and Answers)
- Library Entries
- Blog posts
- Ideation posts
What is the site moderation queue?
While each community has its own moderation queue, which can be managed by its Community Admins (and Super Admins), the site queue is global and available only to Super Admins, allowing them to quickly manage ALL of the moderated content across their site from one place.
Access the Moderation Queue
To access the site's list of moderated content:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Community > Moderation > Queue.
The page lists all user-created content across all your communities that has to be approved in order to be available.
TIP: Click the ? icon in the upper right to open the on-page Help.
Manage moderated content
Content that is "in moderation" won't be visible until it's approved.
On this page, you can:
Manage pending content
Select an item and click:
- Approve - to approve it. Approved content is made live in the community where it was submitted.
- Reject - to reject it. Rejected content is moved to the Rejected page. When rejecting an item, you must provide a reason and decide whether to send the associated user an email message letting them know. Rejected content can be approved in the future.
- More > Edit - to edit the content in a new browser tab before approving it.
- More > View Moderation History - to see when the content was sent to moderation and who applied the moderation and why. This option is exclusive to Self Moderation content.
View rejected content
- Click the down arrow to the right of the page title and select Rejected.
- Select an item to see the rejection details in the Preview Panel.
- Optionally, click Approve above the list to approve the content. The content is made live in the community where it was submitted.
List column headings
Each column on this page is described below:
- Type - Indicates the content type. For example, a Library entry is a Document and an Idea is a Concept.
- Name - Displays the subject of the content. The titles are hyperlinked for easy access to the content.
- Created By - The name of the user who created the content.
- Created - The date and time when the content was created.
- Community - The community the content will publish to if approved.
- Moderation Type - The type of moderation that applies to this content. Types are:
- Full Moderation - The community in which the content was created is set to Full Moderation.
- Self Moderation - A user in the community has flagged the content, resulting in it being added to the Moderation Queue.
- Moderated User - The user who created the content is being individually moderated; all of their contributions require Admin approval before being made available.
Manage individual contributions
NOTE: This option does not apply to Ideation content.
In addition to managing moderation at the site and community levels, individual user contributions can be managed in your community, without having to access the Admin interface.
- Act on content in moderation - Admins can view, approve, edit, and reject single user-created contributions right in the content's listing in the community. An example of a moderated discussion post is shown below.
- Send content to moderation - If a community is set to Self Moderation, content is not automatically sent to moderation. However, this Moderation setting introduces the Mark as Inappropriate option which any user can click to send that individual contribution to moderation.
NOTE: This option is a stand-alone button in blog posts (as shown), but is in a dropdown list in discussion posts and library entries.