There are a few things you should do to set up and start using your site.
To guide you, we have compiled this series of articles to help you get started!
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
In this article...
Event Calendar is Higher Logic's core event module. It doesn't offer full event registration and management capabilities like Event Manager, but it's ideal for spreading the word about upcoming events from your organization. And, if your account is integrated with an AMS/CRM database, you can advertise events from your AMS/CRM across your Higher Logic site.
NOTE: Event Manager is a separate, optional Higher Logic module that provides more robust event registration and management options. See Event Manager Overview to learn more.
Admin access and calendar management
Super Admins and Community Admins can access events as described below.
- Super Admins can view and manage the Event Calendar for all events across their site by accessing the Admin interface and navigating to Events > List.
- Community Admins can view and manage the Event Calendar for their community by navigating to the community Home page and clicking Settings > Manage Events.
Add an Event
In addition to the locations mentioned above, Admins can create events on the Upcoming Events and Manage Events pages. By default, these pages are located in the Events menu on your main Navigation.
- Click Add an Event and use the table in Event Calendar to complete the fields.
Use widgets to display Events
You can display events on any page of your site. There are two widgets in the CMS that Site Admins and Super Admins can add to a page and then configure.
- The All Events List widget, in the Widget > Event category. This widget is included on the Upcoming Events page and defaults to listing all of your account's events, but the widget can be added to other pages in lieu of or in addition to this page.
- The Upcoming Events List widget, in the Widget > Feeds category. You can add this widget to any page and specify how many events to display (and other parameters, such as date and location) to, for example, feature a short list of upcoming events.
TIP: The articles in the Manage Site Navigation & Content section detail how to use the CMS to create and edit pages and Content Items (one of which is a widget).
Events can be grouped into types which enable you to categorize them. You can assign a type when you create an event to place that event into a group. Having your events grouped allows:
- users to filter events when searching to easily find them and
- admins to create type-specific event displays using the previously mentioned widgets.
NOTE: Several default Event Types are included. You can customize these and you can create your own.
To manage your Event Types:
- Access the Admin Interface.
- Navigate to Events > Types.
On the Event Types page:
- Click Add to create and configure an Event Type
- Click Edit to update an existing Event Type
- Select Delete from an Event Type's dropdown to remove it
Be sure to check out Event Calendar to learn all about creating and managing Events and Event Types for your Community.