The Higher Logic Thrive Marketing Enterprise (Thrive Marketing Enterprise) integration uses the Higher Logic API in conjunction with Real Magnet’s Universal Webservice.
- This integration is compatible with all Higher Logic-supported browsers.
Watch the video
TIP: Check out the Higher Logic Academy Paths page for product- and role-specific videos!
Who should read this guide?
This guide is for Thrive Marketing Enterprise users responsible for determining messaging and contact management guidelines. It assumes that you are familiar with:
- Using the Thrive Marketing Enterprise system
- Managing users in Higher Logic Community
- Managing data in Higher Logic Community
The following articles provide important information about your Thrive Marketing Enterprise integration.
- See Unique Identifiers: Email Address and Custom ID to learn about these unique IDs and their differences.
- See Integration Access Levels & Permissions to learn about the access levels for integration features, and how you can set the access levels for your Admins.
Thrive Marketing Enterprise can automatically generate a failure report if an upload job fails and automatically send an email alert to one or more individuals. The report includes:
- the name of the file that was used,
- the group name that the file was mapped to, and
- any identifiable error message.
TIP: This is a simple way to ensure that you are alerted to upload failures and can easily explore the details of the failure.
To enable the failure report and notifications:
- Log in to Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations > Integration Settings.
- In the Failure Report section:
- Set Enabled to Yes.
- Click into the Run Time field and choose a time.
- Specify the email address of the person to be notified; separate multiple email addresses with commas.
- Click Save and then click Close.
Manage the Higher Logic password
These credentials can be managed by Super Admins.
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations > Integration Settings.
- Specify a Password.
- Click Save.
Considerations before uploading Higher Logic Communities
Uploading recipients from Higher Logic to Thrive Marketing Enterprise can be performed in a variety of ways. Below are some things that you should consider before your first upload.
Thrive Marketing Enterprise offers two options for determining uniqueness: email address and the Higher Logic Contact Key. These choices assume that there is a Thrive Marketing Enterprise integration installed (e.g., netFORUM or Aptify).
If your main integration is Personify, refer to the next section.
Personify and Custom ID for Higher Logic
When using Personify and Higher Logic, it's recommended that the Custom ID for your Thrive Marketing Enterprise account be the email address, the default option.
To learn more about unique IDs, see Unique Identifiers: Email Address and Custom ID.
Replacing Thrive Marketing Enterprise records
Thrive Marketing Enterprise provides two options when uploading a Saved Search:
- Adding recipients - If add to existing list is selected, Thrive Marketing Enterprise will only add the records to the group with the records from the upload. Individual records will not be updated or overwritten.
- Replacing recipients - If Replace existing list is selected, Thrive Marketing Enterprise will replace the records in the group with the records from the upload. The records being removed are not deleted, only removed from the group (they remain in the database), and there is no impact on the historical data.
NOTE: The replace method can be made the default. To do so, submit a request to your Implementation Project Manager or to Support.
If Replace is selected (Thrive Marketing Enterprise’s default setting to overwrite existing data), based on the unique identifier will overwrite the corresponding data that exists in Thrive Marketing Enterprise. This can be particularly useful in instances where there is one database of record that is in the process of being constantly updated.
NOTE: Add to Group will not update individual records in Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
Upload a Higher Logic Community to Thrive Marketing Enterprise
The integration works with the Lists. Lists will execute on demand at the time of run from the Real Magnet Upload Scheduler (RMUS). All other Communities will update according to the schedule you have set in the Admin section of Higher Logic once per day, or more often (such as hourly).
Create Lists in Higher Logic
List Builder will outline how to create a list in Higher Logic.
NOTE: You must have Super Admin permissions to create a List.
Transferring Communities from Higher Logic to Thrive Marketing Enterprise
Data can be transferred from Higher Logic to Thrive Marketing Enterprise via a scheduled upload or one-time transfer from within Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
The RMUS is a feature of the integration that allows for automated uploads to the Thrive Marketing Enterprise system; it is extremely useful in the event there are any Saved Searches that you send to on a regular basis.
It allows the following upload job types:
- Run Now - This upload job will run once. Once completed, edits or changes cannot be made to this upload job.
- On Demand - This upload job will only run when the green play icon is clicked or using the Sync on Send functionality. This will deploy the upload job when a message is scheduled to send to the group attached to the upload job.
- Scheduled - This upload job will run on a scheduled basis, either daily or weekly, and can be manually run by clicking the green play button. When selecting a group connected to an active marketing automation campaign, this option can also upload groups on an hourly basis.
The RMUS can be accessed by logging into Thrive Marketing Enterprise and selecting Settings. The details below will cover all aspects of the RMUS.
The following table describes the icons in the Actions column.
|Delete this upload job.|
|Edit this upload job. (On Demand and Scheduled jobs only.)|
|Run this upload job. (On Demand and Scheduled jobs only.)|
|Open the "reject report" dialog which has an option to download the list of rejected records in a text file.|
Upload Jobs tab
The Upload Jobs tab lists the upload jobs that have been created in your Thrive Marketing Enterprise account.
- Distribution List Name - The name of the list in Higher Logic.
- Date Created - The date the upload job was created.
- Job Type - Whether the job is Run Now, On Demand, or Scheduled.
- Frequency - The frequency of the scheduled job. For Run Now and On Demand, this will remain blank.
- Scheduled Time - One of the following times.
- Start Time (HH:MM) – The scheduled start time of the upload job.
- Last Run (MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM) – When the upload job was last executed and completed.
- Next Run (MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM) – When the upload job is next scheduled to run.
- Group Results - The group in Thrive Marketing Enterprise the query was uploaded to and the results of the last upload, including the total number in the group and the number added. Any error that may occur on upload will surface here.
- Actions - The allowed actions a user can make to the upload job.
Create an upload job
To create an upload job in Thrive Marketing Enterprise:
- Select Settings.
- Select Integrations.
- Select Higher Logic Management.
- Select Create Upload Job.
- Select a Community.
- Select Create Map.
- Select View Entire Field List or One by One.
- Select which columns you would like to bring over to Thrive Marketing Enterprise. These are a one-to-one relationship when mapping fields. This means that you can only map the fields on the left side of the screen with one item on the Thrive Marketing Enterprise side once.
- Click Create Schedule.
- Select Create New Group or Add to Existing Group.
- Select either Add to existing group or Replace existing list.
- Depending on account settings the third upload step may reveal the option whether or not to update. Select Do not Update Existing Records (Only Add Records To Group) or Update Existing Records.
- Click Create.
- Select your frequency: Run Now, On Demand, or Scheduled.
- Click Submit.
Fields in the Thrive Marketing Enterprise system have the following character maximums. Make sure these are not exceeded when you are uploading records to Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
|Field Type||Character Limit|
|Email, Address 1, Address 2, all Custom Fields||100|
|First Name, Last Name, Phone, Fax, City, State, Zip Code||50|
|Enhanced Personalization Fields||250|
Manually upload Communities to Thrive Marketing Enterprise
You may have users who want to upload .csv files into the system, independent of the integration. When uploading a list within Thrive Marketing Enterprise, independent of the RMUS, a user must include the Contact Key and email address. Upon upload, the user must map the Contact Key column to the Custom Member ID field in Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
Thrive Marketing Enterprise data in Higher Logic
The Thrive Marketing Enterprise tracking data will send overnight to your integrated CRM database. For Personify, Higher Logic recommends completing an upload job before tracking is pushed back so that IDs are synced. Tracking will display in their respective areas based on your CRM.
An individual record is missing tracking information; how can I fix this?
Ensure that the individual is assigned a Contact Key and that it is mapped to the Custom Member ID field in Thrive Marketing Enterprise; this is how Higher Logic Community identifies the individual in the integrated database.
- This is especially possible if the individual was uploaded to Thrive Marketing Enterprise by a method other than the RMUS.
- If this information is missing, tracking information will not be written to the integration database for the individual.