The Higher Logic Thrive Marketing Enterprise (Thrive Marketing Enterprise) iMIS integration is a .NET Web Service that serves as a query endpoint for various contact groups in iMIS. The web services are based on the .NET iMIS Business Objects, and you must be licensed for the iMIS Business Objects by ASI.
The iMIS Business Objects work with iMIS 10.x and greater.
Watch the video
TIP: Check out the Higher Logic Academy Paths page for product- and role-specific videos!
Who should read this guide?
This guide is for Thrive Marketing Enterprise users responsible for determining messaging and contact-management guidelines. It assumes that you are familiar with:
- Using the Thrive Marketing Enterprise system
- Managing users in iMIS
- Managing data within iMIS
The following articles provide important information about your Thrive Marketing Enterprise integration.
- See Unique Identifiers: Email Address and Custom ID to learn about these unique IDs and their differences.
- See Integration Access Levels & Permissions to learn about the access levels for integration features, and how you can set the access levels for your Admins.
Thrive Marketing Enterprise can automatically generate a failure report if an upload job fails and automatically send an email alert to one or more individuals. The report includes:
- the name of the file that was used,
- the group name that the file was mapped to, and
- any identifiable error message.
TIP: This is a simple way to ensure that you are alerted to upload failures and can easily explore the details of the failure.
To enable the failure report and notifications:
- Log in to Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations > Integration Settings.
- In the Failure Report section:
- Set Enabled to Yes.
- Click into the Run Time field and choose a time.
- Specify the email address of the person to be notified; separate multiple email addresses with commas.
- Click Save and then click Close.
Track and report on user activity
You can configure Thrive Marketing Enterprise to track and report on your users' activities (e.g., email opens, unsubscribes, event registrations, and website visits), and have the results data written to your integrated AMS/CRM database.
The tracking and reporting do not automatically happen. An Admin must select which activities to track and then schedule a synchronization with your AMS/CRM database to write the tracking results to it.
Configure tracking and scheduling
Tracking and the sync schedule are configured on the same page.
- Log in to Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations > [integration] Management.
(The name of your AMS/CRM will display instead of "integration.")
- Click the Manage Tracking tab.
Choose activities to track
NOTE: The Full Access permission for Tracking is required to be able to enable tracking. Thrive Marketing Enterprise recommends that you limit the number of Admins granted this permission. See Integration Access Levels & Permissions to learn how to set this permission.
In the Track the Following box:
- Check the boxes for the activities that you want tracked.
Check All Bounces to select all of its sub-options; uncheck it to deselect all sub-options.
- RESULTS: The Tracking History box displays daily historical results. Use the dropdown to specify how many records to display.
Schedule the sync
In the Schedule section:
- Configure the time you would like the tracking results written to your integration database.
- RESULTS: Information about the last sync displays in the lower right.
- Higher Logic recommends that the sync be set for off-peak hours to better ensure uninterrupted data transmission.
- If there were issues with the previous day's sync, this page provides detailed error descriptions for un-synced activities.
- Be sure to click Go to save your settings.
Replacing Thrive Marketing Enterprise records
Thrive Marketing Enterprise provides two options when uploading a Saved Search:
- Adding recipients - If add to existing list is selected, Thrive Marketing Enterprise will only add the records to the group with the records from the upload. Individual records will not be updated or overwritten.
- Replacing recipients - If Replace existing list is selected, Thrive Marketing Enterprise will replace the records in the group with the records from the upload. The records being removed are not deleted, only removed from the group (they remain in the database), and there is no impact on the historical data.
NOTE: The replace method can be made the default. To do so, submit a request to your Implementation Project Manager or to Support.
If Replace is selected (Thrive Marketing Enterprise’s default setting to overwrite existing data), based on the unique identifier will overwrite the corresponding data that exists in Thrive Marketing Enterprise. This can be particularly useful in instances where there is one database of record that is in the process of being constantly updated.
NOTE: Add to Group will not update individual records in Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
Uploading to Thrive Marketing Enterprise
All individual queries that are transferred from iMIS to Thrive Marketing Enterprise are referred to as an upload job. The upload jobs that are allowed via this integration are:
- SQL Views must contain:
- A field called ContactID that is the iMIS ID of the person's record
- Email address
- Adhoc Queries must contain:
- The ContactID
- IQA Queries must contain:
- A field called ContactID that is the iMIS ID of the person's record (See Add iMIS IQAs to the Real Magnet Groups Table)
- Email address
- These lists must be active
- The Thrive Marketing Enterprise settings table must have auto-create set to true
Transferring lists to Thrive Marketing Enterprise
Data can be transferred from iMIS to Thrive Marketing Enterprise via:
- a scheduled upload job or
- a one-time transfer from within Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
To do so, the query or list must first be added to the Real Magnet Groups table.
Adding queries to the Real Magnet Groups table
The Real Magnet Bridge uses the fields' code and description from REALMAGNET_GROUPS table. To expose an existing query to the Thrive Marketing Enterprise upload tool:
- Navigate to Set Up Tables > General Lookup/Validation.
- Select REALMAGNET_GROUPS from the menu.
- Click New.
- Specify values for the Code and Description fields. (You can ignore the Expansion field.)
- Code - Group Name
- Description - Location (technical name of the group), and there are three options:
- Adhoc Query Name (e.g., TEXAS_MEMBERS)
- SQL View (e.g., TEXAS_MEMBERS_VIEW) *Note that dbo is not included in this. The Real Magnet Groups table only requires the name of the view.*
- IQA Query path (e.g., $/ContactManagement/DefaultSystem/Queries/Advanced/Contact/Other/Top Donor) (See Add iMIS IQAs to the Real Magnet Groups Table).
The data you enter here is the listing of iMIS contact groups you wish to query using the Real Magnet Upload Scheduler. The groups used by Thrive Marketing Enterprise can exist in iMIS and as a view in your iMIS database.
Thrive Marketing Enterprise upload jobs
An "upload job," in simple terms, is the method by which you move data from your AMS/CRM database into your Thrive Marketing Enterprise account. Upload jobs can be scheduled and they can be automated for maximum convenience and efficiency.
The Upload Jobs page lists all of the upload jobs that have been created in your Thrive Marketing Enterprise account. You can manage (run, edit, delete) your upload jobs right on this page.
To access the Upload Jobs page:
- In the Admin Toolbar, click Admin.
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations.
- Click the name of your integration to access the Upload Jobs page.
This section describes the upload job types, the columns of the Upload Job page, and the on-page options so that you're ready to create an upload job, as described in the section that follows.
Real Magnet Upload Scheduler
The Real Magnet Upload Scheduler (RMUS) is your tool for creating and scheduling upload jobs. Your upload jobs automate the uploading of data from your AMS/CRM into Thrive Marketing Enterprise. This is particularly beneficial if there are Saved Searches that you regularly send to.
- The RMUS is the Create Upload Job tab of the Settings > Integrations > [integration_name] page in Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
Upload job types
Thrive Marketing Enterprise has three upload job types:
- Run Now runs once, when it is created.
- On Demand runs when the green Run icon is clicked or using the Sync on Send functionality. The upload job is deployed when a message is scheduled to send to the selected group.
- Scheduled runs on a schedule (either Daily or Weekly) and can be manually run by clicking the green Run icon. If the selected group is connected to an active campaign, the Hourly option is also available.
Upload jobs tab
The Upload Jobs tab lists the upload jobs that have been created in your Thrive Marketing Enterprise account. The following table describes the columns and associated Admin actions.
|List Name||The name of the query/list/report that is being uploaded from your AMS/CRM database.|
|Date Created||The date that the upload job was created or most recently modified.|
|Job Type||The upload job type: Run Now, On Demand, or Scheduled.|
|Frequency||The frequency of a Scheduled upload job; Weekly jobs include the specified day of the week. This column is applicable to Scheduled jobs only.|
|Scheduled Time||Activity details (past and future) for the upload job.
- Start Time (Scheduled jobs only) - When the upload job is scheduled to start.
- Last Run - When the upload job was last run.
- Next Run (Scheduled jobs only) - When the upload job is next scheduled to run.
|Group Results||The group in Thrive Marketing Enterprise to which the query/list/report was uploaded and the results of the latest upload. Any errors that occur on upload will surface here.|
|Actions||The upload job management actions; refer to Icons legend, below.|
The following table describes the icons in the Actions column.
|Delete this upload job.|
|Edit this upload job. (On Demand and Scheduled jobs only.)|
|Run this upload job. (On Demand and Scheduled jobs only.)|
|Open the "reject report" dialog which has an option to download the list of rejected records in a text file.|
Create an upload job
To create an upload job:
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations > iMIS Management.
- Click the Create Upload Job tab.
- Select an IQA, Adhoc Query, SQL View, or Committee and click Create Map.
- Select either View Entire Field List or One by One.
- Select which fields to upload to Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
NOTE: There is a "single-use" policy applied to these fields. As each field in the integration field and Real Magnet field dropdowns is selected and mapped, it is removed from its list. Click the X to the right of the pair to remove that mapping and restore the fields.
- Click Create Schedule.
- Select either Create New Group or Add to Existing Group.
- If you select the "add" option, select either Add to existing group or Replace existing list.
- If the "update" option then displays, select either Do Not Update Existing Records (Only Add Records To Group) or Update Existing Records.
- Click Create.
- Select a frequency: Run Now, On Demand, or Scheduled.
- Click Submit.
Fields in the Thrive Marketing Enterprise system have the following character maximums. Make sure these are not exceeded when you are uploading records to Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
|Field Type||Character Limit|
|Email, Address 1, Address 2, all Custom Fields||100|
|First Name, Last Name, Phone, Fax, City, State, Zip Code||50|
|Enhanced Personalization Fields||250|
See Custom Fields and Enhanced Personalization Fields to learn about these personalization features.
Manually upload communities to Thrive Marketing Enterprise
When uploading a list independent of the RMUS for tracking information to report to iMIS, you must include the ContactID and the email address. Upon upload, you must map the ContactID column to the Custom Member ID field in Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
Thrive Marketing Enterprise data in iMIS
The only information to report to iMIS is the tracking results of a message. This tracking information will update once per day.
Viewing tracking data in iMIS
- Click the Customers tab.
- Navigate to Manage customers > RealMagnet tab.
The tab displays:
|ActivityCode and ActivitySubcode|
|EmailAddress||The email address of the iMIS contact.|
|RecipientID||The Thrive Marketing Enterprise Recipient ID.|
|DateStampUTC||The date the activity took place.|
|CategoryName||Based on your unsubscribe settings, this will report either the Thrive Marketing Enterprise group or message category name.|
|GroupName||The Thrive Marketing Enterprise group name.|
|MessageName||The Thrive Marketing Enterprise message name.|
|LinkURL||The link clicked by the recipient.|
|LinkLabel||If link label is enabled this will display the Thrive Marketing Enterprise link label.|
Viewing Thrive Marketing Enterprise information in iMIS
The following items will now be visible to you in iMIS:
- Additional Activity codes
- Landing Pages Submitted
- Website Visits
- Goal Reached
- New records created via a Landing Page
Create records in iMIS via Thrive Marketing Enterprise Landing Pages
When creating a Landing Page campaign in Thrive Marketing Enterprise, you can opt to have the campaign create records in iMIS.
A new record created in iMIS from a Landing Page campaign is created as a Prospect.
- In the Integration Options section, check the box to Integrate this campaign with iMIS.
When a record is created in iMIS, Thrive Marketing Enterprise uses the email address as the unique ID.
If a Landing Page campaign record has an email address that already exists in iMIS, Thrive Marketing Enterprise will populate the Custom Member ID with the iMIS ID.
Frequently asked questions
- If you're experiencing an issue, review iMIS Integration - Frequently Asked Questions to see if there's a recommended solution or workaround.
- If your issue persists, create a case.