A technical worksheet is at the bottom of this article.
What is/not an OC data migration?
- paid service for customers transitioning from another online community platform
- technical project to migrate user-contributed content and some user details, usually done during implementation
- customer provides the data; HL does not export data from other platforms
- customer provides guidance to HL on how the data should be migrated
- does not include CMS/website migration; can be done alongside CMS/website setup
- not the integration with a backend system; may require initial sync first
What can be migrated?
- blog posts
- calendar events (not registrations)
- community slideshows
- discussion posts
- glossary items
- library entries
- Q&As (coming soon!)
+ attachments, comments, recommends/likes, tags to objects
- community members + subscriptions
- external volunteer history
- mentors and mentees
- profile bios + pictures
What affects the project scope and cost?
- number of data sources and format
- csv, Excel, json, xml
- multiple data sources and/or other formats require engineer approval
- number of object types
- see above
- 4, 10 or max
- total number of items
- a discussion post with four replies = 5 items, a library entry with two comments = 3 items
- 100K, 500K or unlimited
- conversion requirements
- inline images/files
- interior links to migrated content
- @mentions and #hashtags
What does the customer need from us?
- technical worksheet (bottom of this page)
- description of service
What do we need from the customer?
- completed technical worksheet (bottom of this page)
- sample dataset in the format the final dataset(s) will be provided in
- resource who understands the scope of work and data
Statement of Work
- “Higher Logic [may/will] require an addendum to this Statement of Work (SOW) that clearly outlines how the dataset will be migrated.”
- technical details, rules of the migration as discussed during the scoping call
- “Data will be migrated as is. Higher Logic will not correct spelling, encoding, or other issues that may be present in the source data provided.”
- “Higher Logic will not perform the Data Migration on non-business days such as weekends and holidays.”