NOTE: This article is for customers with the "classic" Admin interface (horizontal top-navigation bar).
If your interface is different, view the New Admin Experience version of this article.
Suppression is an absolute "Do Not Send" status in Higher Logic Real Magnet. When a contact is suppressed, they will no longer receive any emails from that account; this is why reversing a suppression is a manual process.
Generally, a suppression is completed by:
- Suppressing an individual contact (see Modify a Recipient's Suppression Status),
- suppressing multiple contacts by uploading a list of records via a .csv file, or
- using Suppression Across Accounts to share suppression across Real Magnet accounts with a parent-child structure. See Suppression Across Accounts to learn more.
What's the difference between suppression and unsubscribe?
If a user's unsubscribe setting is Unsubscribe from All Groups, there's little difference. Technically, Real Magnet treats them differently, but the effect is the same: the contact will no longer receive messages.
If a user's unsubscribe setting is Unsubscribe from Group Only or Message Category, then they are unsubscribed only from the specified group or message category. However, if suppressed, they will not receive any future messages (emails, faxes, and/or SMS), regardless of what groups or categories they belong to.
How can contacts be suppressed?
A contact can be suppressed either manually or automatically (by the system), and suppression can be triggered in a number of ways. Refer to Suppression Types for the full list, including descriptions and TypeIDs.
- Manual - A Real Magnet admin suppresses the contact record.
- List Upload - A Real Magnet admin uploads a list of contacts to suppress.
- Campaign - A campaign is created in Real Magnet to automatically suppress individuals.
- Suppression Across Accounts - For Real Magnet accounts with a parent-child structure, suppression can be either shared or cascaded across accounts.
Automatic system suppression
- Spam Complaint - Real Magnet automatically suppresses contacts who register a spam complaint. This cannot be reversed by a Real Magnet admin, and requires an email forwarded to Higher Logic Support from that contact requesting to be added back to your mailing.
- User Not Found - If two consecutive User Not Found bounces occur, Real Magnet automatically suppresses the associated contact.
- Bad Domain - If two consecutive Bad Domain bounces occur, Real Magnet automatically suppresses the associated domain.
- Auto Non-engaged - Real Magnet can automate a rule for your account to automatically suppress contacts who have not opened X number of consecutive emails.
A contact can be suppressed from receiving emails, faxes, and SMS messages.
Manage suppression lists and records
Navigate to the Contacts tab, and then click SUPPRESSION in the left sidebar. From here, you can:
- Click Suppressed Recipients to view contacts who are currently suppressed.
- Click Upload a Suppression List to upload a .csv file containing contacts you want to suppress.
Manage suppressed contacts
After clicking Suppressed Recipients, you can generate three types of suppression lists:
- Records whose email address is suppressed
- Records whose fax number is suppressed
- Records whose email address and fax number are both suppressed
After a list is generated, use the Quick Search at the top of the page to locate an individual record or group of records. You can then click the Details button associated with a contact to access their record. From here, you can click the Modify Suppression Status icon to modify their suppression status.
Upload a suppression list
After clicking Upload a Suppression List, you can upload a .csv file to suppress contacts from contacts from receiving emails, faxes, or both.
- Select how you're identifying your contact records: by email address or fax number (your list should contain these values).
- Select the type of message(s) contacts are to be suppressed from receiving: email only, fax only, or both email and fax.
- Click Choose File, and find the .csv file.
- Check the box if your .csv file contains a header row.
- Click Submit.
NOTE: Your .csv file must only include a single column whose values are either email addresses or fax numbers.
The following table lists and describes the various types of suppression.
|1||Manual||Admin manually applied suppression to one contact.|
|2||List Upload||Admin uploaded a list of multiple contacts to be suppressed.|
|3||User Not Found||Automatic suppression via an account rule to suppress contacts with 2 consecutive "user not found" bounces with no success.|
|4||SPAM Complaint||Automatic suppression after the contact clicked on a "report spam" type button or link in an email.|
|5||Campaign||Automatic suppression via a Real Magnet user-defined campaign action.|
|6||Domain Suppress||Automatic suppression via a regular scheduled task. All contacts with the specified domain are suppressed.|
|7||Manage Subscription||Contact indicated preference via a subscription page.|
|8||Bad Domain||Automatic suppression via an account rule to suppress contacts with 2 consecutive "bad domain" bounces with no success.|
|9||Unsubscribed Across Accounts||Automatic suppression via a regular scheduled task that locates contact-unsubscribes in one account and suppresses those contacts in another account.|
|10||Suppressed Across Accounts||Automatic suppression via a regular scheduled task that locates suppressed contacts in one account and applies them to another account.|
|11||Auto Non-engaged||Automatic suppression via an account rule to suppress contacts with consecutive "Not Opens".|
|13||Unsub From All Link||Contact clicked "Unsub from all future emails" link on the unsubscribe page.|
|14||Generic Hard||Automatic suppression via an account rule to suppress contacts who meet the threshold for consecutive "hard bounces" with no success.|
|15||Generic Soft||Automatic suppression via an account rule to suppress contacts who meet the threshold for consecutive "soft bounces" with no success.|
|16||Mailbox Full||Automatic suppression via an account rule to suppress contacts who meet the threshold for consecutive "mailbox full" bounces with no success.|
|99||Previous||Suppressed before suppression types were tracked.|
|0||Detail Unavailable||Detail Unavailable|