NOTE: View the New Admin Experience version of this article.
Templates are a time-saving way for organizations to create messages with minimal duplicated effort. Rather than creating one-off email messages week after week and month after month, take the time to plan your email campaigns so you know the types of messages you'll be repeatedly sending (e.g., welcome outreach, member renewals, calls to action), and then create a template for each type.
In this article, you'll learn the initial set-up steps of creating a template. After completing these steps, see Message Editor Overview for detailed information on the sections and options of the Message Editor and how to use them to design and add content to your template.
Set up a Template
- Navigate to the Messages tab.
- Click Message Assets in the left panel, followed by Templates.
- On the resulting page, click Create New.
- In the resulting pop-up:
- Give your new template an appropriate name and description.
- Check the Lock Themes box if you don't want users to be able to use Color Themes with this template (administrators and those with permission will still be able to).
- Check the Transactional Template box to make this a transactional template. See Transactional Templates & Messages to learn more.
- Click Create.
At this point, you'll be taken to the Message Editor where you'll need to set the pixel width of your message canvas (i.e., the area where you'll add your message content). As indicated in the note, if you're planning to use a banner image in your message, you'll generally want to make the width match your banner.
Now that your template is set up, learn how to add content, save and publish your template, choose your template when creating a message, and set template permissions.