The Higher Logic Thrive Marketing Enterprise (Thrive Marketing Enterprise) Aptify integration connects your Aptify database directly to Thrive Marketing Enterprise using Real Magnet's Universal Webservice.
- This integration is compatible with all Higher Logic-supported browsers.
NOTE: The integration is compatible with Aptify versions 4.5 and higher. This guide is applicable to Version 2 of the integration only.
Watch the video
TIP: Check out the Higher Logic Academy Paths page for product- and role-specific videos!
Who should read this guide?
This guide is for Thrive Marketing Enterprise Admin users who are responsible for determining messaging and contact management guidelines. It assumes that you are familiar with:
- the Thrive Marketing Enterprise product,
- managing users in Aptify, and
- managing data in Aptify.
The following articles provide important information about your Thrive Marketing Enterprise integration.
- See Unique Identifiers: Email Address and Custom ID to learn about these unique IDs and their differences.
- See Integration Access Levels & Permissions to learn about the access levels for integration features, and how you can set the access levels for your Admins.
Thrive Marketing Enterprise can automatically generate a failure report if an upload job fails and automatically send an email alert to one or more individuals. The report includes:
- the name of the file that was used,
- the group name that the file was mapped to, and
- any identifiable error message.
TIP: This is a simple way to ensure that you are alerted to upload failures and can easily explore the details of the failure.
To enable the failure report and notifications:
- Log in to Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations > Integration Settings.
- In the Failure Report section:
- Set Enabled to Yes.
- Click into the Run Time field and choose a time.
- Specify the email address of the person to be notified; separate multiple email addresses with commas.
- Click Save and then click Close.
Track and report on user activity
You can configure Thrive Marketing Enterprise to track and report on your users' activities (e.g., email opens, unsubscribes, event registrations, and website visits), and have the results data written to your integrated AMS/CRM database.
The tracking and reporting do not automatically happen. An Admin must select which activities to track and then schedule a synchronization with your AMS/CRM database to write the tracking results to it.
Configure tracking and scheduling
Tracking and the sync schedule are configured on the same page.
- Log in to Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations > [integration] Management.
(The name of your AMS/CRM will display instead of "integration.")
- Click the Manage Tracking tab.
Choose activities to track
NOTE: The Full Access permission for Tracking is required to be able to enable tracking. Thrive Marketing Enterprise recommends that you limit the number of Admins granted this permission. See Integration Access Levels & Permissions to learn how to set this permission.
In the Track the Following box:
- Check the boxes for the activities that you want tracked.
Check All Bounces to select all of its sub-options; uncheck it to deselect all sub-options.
- RESULTS: The Tracking History box displays daily historical results. Use the dropdown to specify how many records to display.
Schedule the sync
In the Schedule section:
- Configure the time you would like the tracking results written to your integration database.
- RESULTS: Information about the last sync displays in the lower right.
- Higher Logic recommends that the sync be set for off-peak hours to better ensure uninterrupted data transmission.
- If there were issues with the previous day's sync, this page provides detailed error descriptions for un-synced activities.
- Be sure to click Go to save your settings.
Replacing Thrive Marketing Enterprise records
At times there may be a reason for replacing a list of recipients in a given group; this is particularly true when it comes to updated membership lists or when your unsubscribe setting is unsubscribe to specified group.
Thrive Marketing Enterprise provides two options when uploading a list:
- Adding recipients - If add to existing list is selected, Thrive Marketing Enterprise will only add the records to the group with the records from the upload. Individual records will not be updated or overwritten.
- Replacing recipients - If Replace existing list is selected, Thrive Marketing Enterprise will replace the records in the group with the records from the upload. The records being removed are not deleted, only removed from the group (they remain in the database), and there is no impact on the historical data.
NOTE: The replace method can be made the default. To do so, submit a request to your Implementation Project Manager or create a case.
If Replace is selected (Thrive Marketing Enterprise’s default setting to overwrite existing data), based on the unique identifier will overwrite the corresponding data that exists in Thrive Marketing Enterprise. This can be particularly useful in instances where there is one database of record that is in the process of being constantly updated.
NOTE: Add to Group will not update individual records in Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
Uploading an Aptify Query to Thrive Marketing Enterprise
All queries that are transferred from Aptify to Thrive Marketing Enterprise are referred to as upload jobs. Upload jobs that are allowed via the integration are:
- Shared Views in folders prefaced with RealMagnet
- SQL View – the Person ID column must be aliased as ID and the name of the view must begin with RealMagnet
Transferring Lists from Aptify to Thrive Marketing Enterprise
Data can be transferred from Aptify to Thrive Marketing Enterprise via:
- a scheduled upload job or
- a one-time transfer from within Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
Thrive Marketing Enterprise upload jobs
An "upload job," in simple terms, is the method by which you move data from your AMS/CRM database into your Thrive Marketing Enterprise account. Upload jobs can be scheduled and they can be automated for maximum convenience and efficiency.
The Upload Jobs tab lists all of the upload jobs that have been created in your Thrive Marketing Enterprise account. You can manage (run, edit, delete) your upload jobs right on this tab.
To access the Upload Jobs tab:
- In the Admin Toolbar, click Admin.
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations.
- Click the name of your integration to access the Upload Jobs tab.
This section describes the upload job types, the columns of the Upload Job tab, and the on-page options so that you're ready to create an upload job, as described in the section that follows.
Real Magnet Upload Scheduler
The Real Magnet Upload Scheduler (RMUS) is your tool for creating and scheduling upload jobs. Your upload jobs automate the uploading of data from your integrated database into Thrive Marketing Enterprise. This is particularly beneficial if there are Saved Searches that you regularly send to.
- The RMUS is the Create Upload Job tab of the Settings > Integrations > [integration_name] Management tab in Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
Upload job types
Thrive Marketing Enterprise has three upload job types:
- Run Now runs once, when it is created.
- On Demand runs when the green Run icon is clicked or using the Sync on Send functionality. The upload job is deployed when a message is scheduled to send to the selected group.
- Scheduled runs on a schedule (either Daily or Weekly) and can be manually run by clicking the green Run icon. If the selected group is connected to an active campaign, the Hourly option is also available.
Upload Jobs tab
The Upload Jobs tab lists the upload jobs that have been created in your Thrive Marketing Enterprise account. The following table describes the columns and associated Admin actions.
|Query Name||The name of the query that is being uploaded from your AMS/CRM database.|
|Date Created||The date that the upload job was created or most recently modified.|
|Job Type||The upload job type: Run Now, On Demand, or Scheduled.|
|Frequency||The frequency of a Scheduled upload job; Weekly jobs include the specified day of the week. This column is applicable to Scheduled jobs only.|
|Scheduled Time||Activity details (past and future) for the upload job.
- Start Time (Scheduled jobs only) - When the upload job is scheduled to start.
- Last Run - When the upload job was last run.
- Next Run (Scheduled jobs only) - When the upload job is next scheduled to run.
|Group Results||The group in Thrive Marketing Enterprise to which the query was uploaded and the results of the latest upload. Any errors that occur on upload will surface here.|
|Actions||The upload job management actions; refer to Icons legend, below.|
The following table describes the icons in the Actions column.
|Delete this upload job.|
|Edit this upload job. (On Demand and Scheduled jobs only.)|
|Run this upload job. (On Demand and Scheduled jobs only.)|
|Open the "reject report" dialog which has an option to download the list of rejected records in a text file.|
Create an upload job
To create an upload job:
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations > Aptify Management.
- Click the Create Upload Job tab.
- Select a query and click Create Map.
- Select either View Entire Field List or One by One.
- Select which fields to upload to Thrive Marketing Enterprise. (Refer to Character limits, below, for character maximums.)
NOTE: There is a "single-use" policy applied to these fields. As each field in the integration field and Thrive Marketing Enterprise field dropdowns is selected and mapped, it is removed from its list. Click the X to the right of the pair to remove that mapping and restore the fields.
- Click Create Schedule.
- Select either Create New Group or Add to Existing Group.
- If you select the "add" option, select either Add to existing group or Replace existing list.
- If the "update" option then displays, select either Do Not Update Existing Records (Only Add Records To Group) or Update Existing Records.
- Click Create.
- Select a frequency: Run Now, On Demand, or Scheduled.
- Click Submit.
Fields in the Thrive Marketing Enterprise system have the following character maximums. Make sure these are not exceeded when you are uploading records to Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
|Field Type||Character Limit|
|Email, Address 1, Address 2, all Custom Fields||100|
|First Name, Last Name, Phone, Fax, City, State, Zip Code||50|
|Enhanced Personalization Fields||250|
Manually upload Shows Lists to Thrive Marketing Enterprise
You may have users that want to upload .CSV files into the system, independent of the integration. When uploading a list within Thrive Marketing Enterprise, independent of the RMUS in order for tracking information to report back to Aptify, a user must include the Aptify Person ID and email address. Upon upload the user must map the Aptify Person ID column to the Custom Member ID field in Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
Thrive Marketing Enterprise data in Aptify
Thrive Marketing Enterprise tracking details
The tracking result of a message is the only information to report back to Aptify (this includes opt-out information). This tracking information will update once a day, typically overnight. The Thrive Marketing Enterprise tracking data is displayed on the Aptify Person Record page, under the Real Magnet tab.
The tab will contain the activity and sub-activity codes related to the Thrive Marketing Enterprise integration. Because the Thrive Marketing Enterprise data is stored in Aptify it can be used for querying and data segmentation.
Thrive Marketing Enterprise unsubscribe information
Customers using Topic Codes can push unsubscribe data to Aptify as not only an activity record but it can also update a recipient’s Topic Code in Aptify. Just like tracking, this is a one-way stream of information from Thrive Marketing Enterprise to Aptify. A breakdown of this relationship with Aptify is provided on the Manage Subscription Preferences with Aptify page.
To associate a group, group category or message category with a Aptify Topic Code, you’ll first need to meet the following requirements:
- Your unsubscribe type must be by Group Category or Message Category.
- The functionality must be enabled for your integration.
Associating Groups or Categories with Topic Codes
To create the one way link between Thrive Marketing Enterprise and Aptify, navigate to Settings.
- Select Settings.
- Select Integrations.
- Select Aptify Management.
- Select Manage Unsubscribes.
- Select which group or category in Thrive Marketing Enterprise that corresponds to the Topic Code in Aptify.
- Once the selections have been made, click Submit.
When a recipient selects the one-click unsubscribe option, this information will write back to the Topic Codes table in Aptify overnight.
The Thrive Marketing Enterprise integration stores the activity data to the dbo.RealMagnetTrackingActivity table. This is the default configuration. However, because the integration writes back directly to the Aptify database instead of writing back to the dbo.RealMagnetTrackingActivity table, data can be stored in a custom table.
Topic Codes in Aptify
A topic code is an item located under the Administration CRM tab. You can create this type by going to Administration – CRM:
- Select Administration – CRM.
- Select New Record.
- Enter a Name, Status, Type, and Start Date.
- Select whether the topic is a Category or Parent, or associate it with a child/code. Choose what you would like for the description (e.g., Opt In Topic Codes).
- Click Save.
NOTE: In order for new topic codes to display, the entity selected must be Persons.
To view the Topic Codes an individual is subscribed to, find the person you would like to view, and then select Topic Codes.
View Marketing Automation information in Aptify
After Aptify has been integrated with Thrive Marketing Enterprise, the following additional Activity codes will be visible.
- Landing Pages Submitted
- Website Visits
- Goal Reached
Create records in Aptify via Thrive Marketing Enterprise Landing Pages
When you create a Thrive Marketing Enterprise Landing Page campaign, you can choose to have that Landing Page also automatically create records in Aptify.
- This functionality is selectable per Landing Page campaign.
- You must have the stored procedure RealMagnet_InsertProspect.
- If you have any issues, create a case with Customer Support.
To enable this functionality:
- When creating a Landing Page campaign, navigate to the Integration Options section.
- Check the Integrate this campaign with Aptify Management box.
- Continue configuring the Landing Page campaign.
When records are created in Aptify, Thrive Marketing Enterprise uses recipient email addresses in order to ensure that records are unique.
- If a record with that email address exists in Aptify, Thrive Marketing Enterprise will ensure that the Custom Member ID is populated with the Aptify ID.
- This process creates Person records in Aptify.
- If the Landing Page campaign is configured to capture any of the following fields, the collected values are included in the new Aptify record.
|Email (required)||First Name||Last Name|
|Company||Address 1||Address 2|
Frequently asked questions
- See the section at the bottom of the Aptify Implementation Guide article.