You can use the Users List to manage your Higher Logic user records.
NOTE: Managing user records via this list is primarily meant for clients who are not integrated with an AMS; integrated clients should manage their user records in that system.
To manage your Higher Logic users:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Users > List.
TIP: On list pages, click a column header to sort on that column. Click the columns count below the list to add and remove columns in the current view.
Create a New User Record
NOTE: You should only create user records this way if specifically directed to do so by Higher Logic staff, and as dictated by your site's implementation directions. For example, if your organization's members are managed in an AMS, you'd likely want to add new users in that system, not independently to your Higher Logic community site.
- Click the plus sign to the right of the page title.
- In the dialog:
- Enter the user's name, email address, and contact/address information.
- Assign one or more Security Groups to control the user's level of access to your community site.
- You can also check the box at the bottom of the dialog to send them an email with a link to set their own password.
- When finished, click Save. The user is now displayed in the list.
Search and Filter
Here at the top right, you can use the search and filter features to quickly find users:
- Click the magnifying glass icon to expand a search field, allowing you to find specific users by first/last name, email address, and company affiliation. The list will automatically update with each typed character and display all records (visible and hidden) that contain a match. Click the X to clear the search field to restore the original list.
- Click the filter icon to view various filters you can apply to make it easier to find specific users. Filters include Company, Security Group, Admin Roles, and Moderation Status. A check mark next to the filter icon indicates an active filter. Click the filter icon and click Clear Filter to restore the original list.
Select a user to view additional details about them in the Preview Panel. A breakdown of their associated admin roles and security group(s) is provided at the bottom.
In addition, click the More menu above the list to:
- Send them a password reset email to any of their email addresses.
- Move the user to a different company.
- Disable this user's record, meaning they cannot log in until their record is reactivated by a Super Admin. Keep in mind that Super Admins can disable user records in a Higher Logic-managed community without affecting their status in your database (if applicable). If a user is disabled, this option becomes Enable User.
- Moderate the user, meaning all of their discussion posts and library entries require admin approval before appearing on your community site. If a user is moderated, this option becomes Remove Moderation. See Moderate Users.
TIP: The Moderation column is hidden by default. Scroll to the bottom of the page, click the columns link under the list, and check the Moderation box. This column will now display so that you can see who among your users is moderated.
- Click Delete to navigate to the Manage Compliance page, where you can manage this, and other users', GDPR compliance. See Compliance, Activity Requests, and Data Deletion.
Email a User
Click the Email button above the list to send a simple, plain-text message to any of the selected user's email addresses (e.g., their Higher Logic account address or another personal address).
Perform Bulk User Actions
Selecting multiple users in the list enables the bulk actions menu in the Preview Panel. This allows you to quickly perform the options discussed in the Perform Management Actions section above for many users at once (e.g., disabling dozens of records, sending the password reset email to multiple users, moving a group of users to a different company, etc.).
Select Multiple Users
The button used to multi-select rows is device-dependent. To select more than one row, hold the Ctrl (Windows) or command (Mac) key and select each of the other rows you want to manage. To select a continuous list on PC and Mac, click one row, then hold the Shift key and click the last row.
TIP: After multi-selecting BUT before acting on the selected contacts, you can add and deselect contacts via the check boxes to their left.
View Users by Status
Click the down arrow to the right of the page title to view only users of a specific status. In addition to listing only users belonging to one of these statuses, each of these list views includes status-specific management options.
This is the default list view, providing the management options described in the Perform Management Actions section above.
Lists any deactivated users, along with the admin who deactivated them and the reason why (a reason is required when deactivating a user). Selecting a user enables you to enable or delete their account using the associated buttons.
While you can deactivate users from the Enabled view, you can also do so here.
- Click the plus sign to the right of the page title.
- Select one or more users.
- Provide a reason why you're deactivating this user.
- Decide whether to send them a notification email about their deactivation.
- Click Deactivate.
Deactivated User Settings
Click the gear icon at the top right to configure a few user deactivation settings:
- Allow users to disable their own accounts - Check/uncheck this box to control whether users can manually deactivate their own accounts.
- Disable Link Name - If users can disable their own accounts, this is the link text that appears in the My Account menu on the user profile.
- Disable Account Prompt Message - This is the confirmation message displayed to the account holder in the confirmation dialog.
- Redirect URL - After a user disables their account, they're logged out and redirected to this URL. It can be a pagecode or full URL.
Lists any users pending admin approval to obtain an account to your community site. Select a user and click Approve, Reject, or Remove Request to perform the applicable action.
Lists any users who have had their account request rejected. Select a user and click Approve or Remove Request to perform the applicable action.
Export User Records
Click the export icon at the top right to export your user records to a CSV file, providing each user's:
- Contact key
- First name
- Informal name
- Last name
- Email address
- Integration key
- Job title
TIP: Exporting respects any filters currently active, enabling you to export a specific list of users, if needed.