NOTE: This article is for customers with the "classic" Admin interface (horizontal top-navigation bar).
If your interface is different, view the New Admin Experience version of this article.
Enhanced Fields are personalized keywords that allow you to insert keywords for each contact to personalize an email message. For example, this functionality may be used for a personalized greeting, such as Hello, John.
Because these values are inserted at the time of send, it is especially important that you are mindful of your Enhanced Field usage, in particular, that the originating data source contains correct information.
Enhanced Fields are UTF-8 ready, meaning that they accept international characters, they also have a character limit of 250 characters. There are some caveats of things you cannot do with Enhanced Fields.
- Enhanced Fields are not typically exported when you export contact details. If you require these fields to export, a flag must be set on your account.
- Enhanced Fields cannot be merged into a fax message.
Enabling and permissions
NOTE: This is not a default feature in Communications Enterprise. If you want it enabled in your account, create a case.
NOTE: If the Enterprise feature is enabled in your account, Enhanced Fields can be set as a configurable Enterprise asset.
NOTE: Initially, all users have access to the feature. However, administrative users can limit access to it with the Enhanced Personalization Permission.
This is an as-needed set-up process from the Contacts page in Communications Enterprise. While Communications Enterprise comes equipped with 12 default personalization fields, at times you may have your own set that you would like to use in segmentation with Marketing Automation, or even for personalization purposes. Enhanced Fields cannot begin with a number or be left blank.
To configure Enhanced Fields:
- Select Contacts.
- Select Custom Fields.
- Select Enhanced Fields.
- Enter the Field Name. This is a friendly name that is accessible only to your users.
- Elect to set this field as Private (viewable only to you) or Shared (available to everyone or your team).
- Elect to set this field as a Date Field.
- Select Submit.
Once the configuration is completed, you can upload values to use in Marketing Automation and Message Personalization.
Below are some common problems encountered when working with Enhanced Fields.
- Why won't it create the Enhanced Field? - Does it start with a number? Enhanced Fields cannot begin with a number, continually there are also some words and phrases that are blocked by our application. Most likely, you’ll just need to change the field name.
- I can't see my Enhanced Field choice when I am uploading. - At times, especially if you are uploading via an integration, your session will need to be refreshed. Log out and log back in and you should be able to view this field. This field may also be either owned by another individual or Enterprise Team.
- Why were some of my uploaded records rejected, what is the maximum length of an Enhanced Field? - Enhanced Fields are limited to 250 characters.
- I'm using international characters, why is the information skewed when I Preview Personalization? - Did you upload international characters while uploading?