NOTE: This article is for customers with the "classic" Admin interface (horizontal top-navigation bar).
If your interface is different, view the New Admin Experience version of this article.
The From Address is the email address you want displayed to your recipients in the "From" field of an email message. This information is mandatory for every message that is sent from the Communications Enterprise system, so you have the ability to create custom From Addresses that will be available from a dropdown when your users are creating email messages.
The two-fold benefit of these pre-configured return addresses is that your messages will seem to be originating from just a few authorized addresses and users won't have to expose their email addresses.
NOTE: In the Admin interface, this feature might also be referred to as Predefined From Field, Pre-defined From Field, and From Field.
When enabling Predefined From Addresses for your account, your account's administrative user may determine that only certain users should be allowed to use this functionality.
- If Enterprise is enabled, Predefined From Field can be set as an asset.
Access From Addresses
To access your From Addresses:
- Navigate to Messages > Options > From Address.
There are three sections on this page where you can:
- Create a From Address
- Allow users to enter a From Address (Enable Ad-hoc From Address)
- Edit and delete From Addresses
Create a From Address
From Addresses can be created with or without a vanity; a vanity is simply a more friendly or descriptive appearance of your email address. For example, instead of showing email@example.com a vanity can instead show as "Joe Doe" <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
To create a From Address:
- Enter a valid email address in the text box.
- Click Go.
Examples of valid email addresses:
- "Joe Doe" <email@example.com>
The page refreshes and the new email address appears in the Manage From Addresses list.
Allow Ad-hoc From Addresses
The Ad-hoc From Address field is a blank text field that gives senders the flexibility to input an email address that is not in the dropdown menu.
There are two options for the Enable Ad-hoc "From" Address field.
- If you select Yes, a text field will be added right below the From Address dropdown menu on the send page and senders can specify any valid email address.
- If you select No, only the dropdown option will be available and senders must choose one of the predefined From Addresses.
Edit or delete a From Address
Under Manage From Addresses, you can edit and delete From Addresses.
To edit a From Address:
- Click the pencil icon next to the From Address you want to edit.
- On the next page, a text field is populated with the email address; make your edits and click Submit.
- After the page refreshes, verify the update to the email address in the Manage From Addresses list.
To delete a From Address:
- Click the red button next to the From Address.
- On the next page, there’s a confirmation to make sure that you really want to delete the selected email address; click Submit.
- After the page refreshes, verify that the email address is no longer listed in the Manage From Addresses list.