This article outlines everything you need to know regarding unsubscribed users.
Resubscribing an Unsubscriber
If an unsubscriber has asked to be resubscribed, you have two options. Let's look at both.
Method 1 - From the subscriber's record
- Navigate to Subscribers > Search and specify the email address for the unsubscriber.
NOTE: Click Current Status and make sure that either All or Unsubscribed is selected; otherwise, you'll see only active subscribers.
- Click Update to retrieve the unsubscriber.
- Hover over the menu icon next to the email address and select Resubscribe.
- On the resulting page, click the Resubscribe button.
- A window opens confirming that the subscriber has been resubscribed. Click OK.
Method 2 - From the Unsubscribers Report
Unsubscribers can also be resubscribed from the Unsubscribers Report (Subscribers > Reports > Unsubscribes > Unsubscribes) by clicking Re-Sub next to any email address.
Running the Unsubscribers Report
It is a dark day in the life of an email marketer when a subscriber clicks the unsubscribe link in a mailing. When this happens, we have to see if we can figure out why an unsubscribe, or a wave of unsubscribes, occurred.
A great tool to gain insight into this behavior is the Unsubscribers report.
Accessing the Report
- Navigate to Subscribers > Reports > Unsubscribers.
- Select the appropriate date range, cancel method, and sort order for your inquiry.
- When all fields are complete, click Submit.
Unsubscribe Report Information
After submitting your criteria, a new window will appear with a list of all unsubscribed emails that match it. The data displayed is based on the selected data format.
The default data format shows:
- Subscribe Date
- Unsubscribe Date
- Unsubscribe Reason
- Unsubscribe Method
Other information can be pulled into the report based on the data format that is selected.
Unsubscribe Report Options
Unsubscribe report data can be exported into Excel by clicking the Download Report button in the upperleft on the report details page. To run a new unsubscribers report with different parameters, click the Select New Report Criteria link.
Any email can be resubscribed by clicking the Re-Sub link.
Use Unsubscribe Data to Your Advantage
Keeping tabs on unsubscribers is a great practice. Unsubscribe reasons provide opportunities to reach out (by other means than email) and discover why former subscribers left or to get their new email addresses.
Uploading a List of Unsubscribers
Uploading unsubscribers lets you manage many unsubscribed email addresses simultaneously. Note that by uploading subscribers this way, all email addresses in the uploaded file are marked as unsubscribers. Additionally, any new email addresses uploaded are added as new, "unsubscribed" subscribers.
There are two parts to uploading a list of unsubscribers:
Step 1 - Preparing Your File
- You'll need to create a .txt file that contains email addresses for all your unsubscribers. Each email address must be its own line in the file.
- If you've prepared your subscriber file as a spreadsheet, remove the header row and delete all columns except for the email address column.
NOTE: Email addresses must be located in the first column of your spreadsheet.
- Once you've formatted your spreadsheet, save it as a Text (Tab Delimited) file. This creates a formatted .txt file that you can upload to Higher Logic Informz.
Step 2 - Uploading Your File in Informz
- In Informz, navigate to Subscribers > Upload > Upload Unsubscribers.
- Click the I have a file radio button.
- Click Choose File, and then browse for the .txt file you created.
- Click Upload.
- You'll receive a confirmation message noting that your unsubscribers are being uploaded.
- You'll also receive a confirmation email when your uploaded is complete. Click Click Here to view the results in your Upload History (view by navigating to Subscribers > Upload > Upload History).
NOTE: If you upload a file with anything other than email addresses, you'll receive the following error message. Click Back to return to the Upload Unsubscribers page to re-upload a new .txt file
Gone, But Not Forgotten
Unsubscribers remain as records in Informz. You can easily identify unsubscribers when you perform a subscriber search - they are listed with red font and their Status is Unsubscriber.