Templates make it easier to ensure that your mailings have a consistent, properly-branded look. Templates can also be helpful in ensuring that your mailings render appropriately on a variety of email clients (stand-alone and web-based) and devices.
Additionally, because templates are reusable, they greatly improve your efficiency when creating mailings. And, by incorporating responsive design into your templates, your mailings become mobile-friendly.
These are the main elements that go into the design of a template:
- Header image
- Table of Contents
- Story structures
- Opt-Out links
- Unsubscribe link
When you create a template, you'll notice that there are two types to choose from:
- Standard - templates that support only one content location.
- Advanced - templates that support multiple content locations.
Content locations are placeholders and look like this:
%%LOC(INFORMZ CONTENT HERE)%%
While both template types are useful, a great advantage to Advanced templates is that they support multiple, custom-named content locations which means that you can easily name your content locations based on their position or purpose in a mailing.
EXAMPLE: You might label three different content locations as "Main Story," "Second Story," and "Third Story." Likewise, you might create labels based on the physical location in a mailing ("Main Story," "Sidebar," "Monthly Updates").
Manage your templates
You can manage your account's templates on the Templates page.
To manage your templates:
- Navigate to Mailings > Templates.
- Hover over the menu icon to the left of a template to view the available options.
- View - Click to view the template in a preview window.
- HTML - Click to access the template in the HTML editor.
- Text - Click to see a text version of the template.
- Style - Click to modify the template location styles.
- Properties - Click to modify the template settings. The Friendly From, From Email Address, and Reply-To Address are key settings for every template and will default to the System Settings value if a valid value isn't specified.
- Copy - Click to make an editable copy of the template.
- Delete - Click to remove the template.
Create a template
To create a template, navigate to Mailings > Templates.
NOTE: See Create and Copy Templates to learn more about creating templates.
To select a template from the Template Gallery, navigate to Mailings > Templates > View.
NOTE: See Template Gallery Overview to learn more about the Template Gallery and how to import templates.
Templates are organized into folders. The folders are accessible in the upper right of the Templates page, as shown below.
- Select a folder to display the templates it contains.
NOTE: See Create Custom Templates Folders to learn more.