Campaigns are a versatile and powerful resource in your member-engagement arsenal because they simplify creating the variety of communications that you send to your contacts. A few benefits of Campaigns are your ability to:
- create a variety of campaigns for a variety of objectives;
- copy a campaign and customize it for a similar but different purpose; and
- configure a campaign to automatically take actions based on recipient actions!
This article describes the steps for creating and editing Campaigns: set up, review, and deploy.
Check out Manage your Campaigns for information on how to manage (edit, delete, copy, track) your Campaigns on a single list page.
Watch the video
The bulk of campaign creation is done on the Setup page, which has several configuration sections.
NOTE: Campaign names can contain and can start with numbers. Those that start with a number will be listed before campaign names that start with a letter. For example, 2019 Renewal and 2020 Welcome would appear earlier in the list than Renewal 2019 and Welcome 2020.
Keep this in mind when creating/naming your Campaigns.
To create a Campaign:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Campaigns > List.
- Specify a name in the New Campaign Name field at the top and click Create New.
- On the Create Campaign page, select the industry your organization belongs to. The information in the How do I know which campaign to choose? area will update based on the chosen industry.
- Click the right dropdown and select a Campaign Type.
There are many campaign types available from the dropdown. Feel free to select one to learn more about it; you'll remain on this page and can change your selection if it's not suitable. Note that some campaign types have sub-types. For example, the Associations industry and the Fundraising campaign type combination offers two campaign options: Rolling Fundraising Appeal and Fixed Send Date Fundraising Appeal. In this case, click the "What is the difference..." link to review the distinctions before you decide.
TIP: Each campaign has an "information and samples" link that opens a dialog with helpful information.
NOTE: After a campaign has been saved, you cannot change its type, so carefully review the type options and select the one that best suits your objectives.
- Click Select.
- Continue with Set up a Campaign, below.
NOTE: The industry and campaign type that are selected here will determine the unique combination of configuration options that are presented on the Setup page that follows. Use the configuration options to customize your campaign to select members and messages, define goals, and specify send dates.
TIP: Use the convenient on-page information boxes (accessible from the icon) for details on how to configure the various options when creating and editing campaigns.
Set up a Campaign
The campaign Setup page will have sections that are based on the industry-and-campaign type combination for the campaign that you are creating or editing.
NOTE: Due to the number of industry and campaign type options, there are countless configuration possibilities. Therefore, the following example is provided as reference only; your Setup page configuration options could be very different.
Reference the numbering in the above image for the descriptions that follow.
1 - The campaign type will be listed at the top of the page (in this case, Renewal Based on Expiration Date), followed by the campaign title.
2 - Next to each section title, click the icon to access on-page information boxes that have details that are specific to that section.
3 - Some configuration options are blue text, such as Select Field and time period in the example. These are prompts for you to choose something. Click the text to open an on-page dialog to configure the option. NOTE: Some of these dialogs might present additional dialogs.
4 - Some configuration options are dotted-underline text, such as days before in the example. These are prompts for you to choose something. Click the text to open an on-page list of options. Some of these options might change the clickable items that follow them, or even add options that weren't there but which are now required.
5 - The text boxes have different behaviors. For example, click into days and just specify a number. However, click into hh:mm and select from a list of times.
Some of the sections might have a text link with a plus symbol (+), such as + time delay before sending first message. These are optional and enable you to further refine how you want the campaign to perform.
When you've specified all the conditions, click Next.
Campaign set up notes
- If you click Next and there are unsatisfied conditions, you will be prompted to "fix the errors" before you can proceed to the Review page.
- The system does not "QA" the logic of your conditions. You should review your selections before proceeding.
Review a Campaign
The campaign Review page presents a "consumable" summary of your configuration options.
- In the upper portion of the page, click Print Screen to open a "preview" of this page. You can print a copy or choose one of the save options.
Some conditions might appear as links, such as Select Message in the image.
- Click the link to open the message in a new tab. This is a useful "check" before deploying the campaign.
After reviewing your configuration options and conditions, click Next.
Deploy a Campaign
The Deploy page is your last opportunity to review your campaign details. If you're satisfied and want to proceed:
- Choose when to start the Campaign by either accepting the "immediately" option or selecting the "schedule" option and choosing a date and time.
- Choose when to end the Campaign by either accepting the "manually" option or selecting the "schedule" option and choosing a date and time.
- Click Deploy Campaign.
- At the confirmation prompt, click Yes.
The page will refresh and update the Schedule section with your start and end selections. Also, now there's a Campaign Status section in which you can cancel the pending deployment.
TIP: Navigate back to the Campaign Management list page and confirm that your Campaign is listed and that its details are correct.
Edit a Campaign
In order to edit a Campaign, you have to:
- Select it from the list.
- Click Edit in the row of options above the list.
This opens the campaign editor on the Setup page.
- Refer to the Set up, Review, and Deploy sections in this article.
Check out the following articles to really do the most with — and get the most out of — your campaigns.
- See Campaign Goals to learn how to set an objective for the campaign.
- Set Up a Campaign Messages Send Interval describes how to set up the intervals between the sending of campaign messages so that your recipients have sufficient time to engage.
- See Set Up Campaign Abandonment to learn about campaign abandonment and how to set up distinct messages to only those who abandon the campaign.
- Test a Campaign describes the two ways to test a campaign.
- See Create an A/B Testing Campaign for information on how to send two or more messages, that are not identical, to determine their individual effectiveness.