NOTE: Story Layouts are only available in Mailing Designer 1.
Use Story Layouts to format a story the same way every time. If you frequently use the same formatting in your stories, investing a little time to create a Story Layout will save you a lot of time in the long run. Using a Story Layout in a mailing's story provides a formatting structure for that mailing - all you need to do is change the text.
In this article, you'll learn how to create and manage Story Layouts, and insert them into a Mailing Designer 1 message.
To view your Story Layouts:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Messages > Options > Story Layouts.
Manage Story Layouts
The Story Layout page lists all of your organization's custom Story Layouts, or those you or other admins have created.
NOTE: There are several default Story Layouts you can insert while editing a Mailing Designer 1 message; however, those defaults are not listed here, nor can they be updated.
General management actions
You can perform several management actions using the buttons above the list:
- Click Search to display a dialog where you can search for a layout. Click [+] to add a search criterion, and configure it with the available filters. You can click [+] to add multiple criterion, if needed. Click the Find button to initiate the search.
- If you've performed a search, click Reset to set the list back to the original view.
- Click Export to export the current list to an Excel file. This is a great way to share data with others in your organization. Keep in mind that exporting respects any search filters you have set, so if you want to only export specific layout information, be sure to perform a search first.
- Click Show Deleted to display any layouts that have been deleted (they're shown in red). If you want to restore a deleted layout, mouse over its menu and select Undelete.
- Select one or more layouts by checking the boxes to their left, and then click Delete, followed by OK in the confirmation pop-up, to remove it.
- Select one or more layouts by checking the boxes to their left, and then click Move to Folder to select a folder to move them to.
Manage a layout
To the left of each Story Layout is a menu; mouse over this menu to access several options:
- Click View to preview the layout in a pop-up.
- Click Edit to make changes to the layout in the editor; you can change its name, folder, type, and any layout content.
- Click Copy to make an exact copy of an existing layout with a new name.
- Click Delete, followed by OK in the confirmation pop-up, to remove the layout.
NOTE: Click the Show Deleted button above the list to display any layouts that have been deleted (they're shown in red). If you want to restore a deleted layout, mouse over its menu and select Undelete.
Like most content in Communications Professional, you can create folders for your Story Layouts to keep them organized and easily manageable.
Click the Edit button above the list to the right to display a dialog where you can add, edit, and delete folders.
The folder you're currently viewing is shown next to this button, to the left. Click this menu and select a folder to display only its layouts in the list.
Create a Story Layout
- Click Create.
- Configure the Story Layout properties:
- Enter a name.
- Select which folder to store it in.
- Select a layout type (this has no bearing on the creation process and is simply for organizational purposes).
- In the editor, add the content for your layout.
- Click Save in the dialog to add the Story Layout to the list.
Insert a Story Layout
While editing a message in Mailing Designer 1:
- Click the Design tab.
- Click Create Story.
- Click the Story Layouts button in the toolbar.
- Click the Story Layout menu to select a layout. (If you have multiple folders, you can select one in the menu above to make finding a specific layout easier.)
- Click Insert.