An important aspect of setting up Member Management for your Higher Logic Thrive Community (Thrive Community) is configuring the payment provider. Having a payment provider simplifies the membership-payment process for you and your users.
IMPORTANT: Currently, the only available payment provider is Stripe. To configure Stripe as your payment provider, you must have a Stripe account.
This article steps through how to set up a payment provider that will process your users' Individual Membership and Group Membership purchases.
Watch the video
TIP: Check out the Higher Logic Academy Paths page for product- and role-specific videos!
Access the Membership Payment page
- In the Admin Toolbar, click Admin.
- Navigate to Membership > Membership Payment.
The Payment Services Setup page has several sections in which you set up and test the payment system for your community site.
Configure the payment provider
NOTE: Currently, the only available payment provider is Stripe; others might be added in the future.
- Accept the default currency option, USD (U.S. dollars), or...
click Edit to set a different currency as the default for payments.
- Note that all currency selections have a minimum-charge amount and any charges less than that minimum amount automatically update to being free/no charge.
- You can change the default currency (e.g., GBD to EUR) in future; the change affects only transactions that occur after the change is made - existing payments are not affected.
NOTE: Stripe will automatically detect a user's currency based on their location and/or card information.
- Click Edit to open a dialog in which you select and configure the payment provider that will process your community site's membership payments. Currently, Stripe is the only option.
After you select a provider, the dialog expands and displays information about the payment process and an input field for the provider's API Secret.
- Review the information, input the API Secret, and click Save.
- Submit a test payment from a credit card of your choosing to the Stripe account to verify that the setup is properly configured.
- Click Randomize Amount to generate a random amount to charge. The test payment will be between $1.00 and $2.00 for the default, USD, and for similar amounts for other currencies.
- Click Test to open the provider's checkout page in a new tab with the indicated payment amount. Specify the credit card details and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the test transaction.
NOTE: The test will charge the test amount to the credit card.
- See Member Management - Membership Types to learn how to create and manage Membership Types in your community.
- Member Management - Discount Codes describes how your organization can offer membership discounts.
- To learn about the various aspects of membership renewal (reminder banners, email messages, and the Auto-Renewal feature), see Member Management - Membership Renewals.