The integration for MemberSuite currently functions with Saved Searches in MemberSuite. The integration relies on the MemberSuite API and the Higher Logic Real Magnet Universal Webservice; it requires that an admin user create Activity Statuses and Activity Types detailed in the installation documentation.
Watch the video
TIP: Check out the Higher Logic Academy Paths page for product- and role-specific videos!
Who should read this guide?
This guide is for Higher Logic Thrive Marketing Enterprise (Thrive Marketing Enterprise) users responsible for determining messaging and contact management guidelines. It assumes that you are familiar with:
- The Thrive Marketing Enterprise system
- Managing users in MemberSuite
- Managing data in MemberSuite
The following articles provide important information about your Thrive Marketing Enterprise integration.
- See Unique Identifiers: Email Address and Custom ID to learn about these unique IDs and their differences.
- See Integration Access Levels & Permissions to learn about the access levels for integration features, and how you can set the access levels for your Admins.
When first setting up, if access is granted via an FTP site, you’ll want to use an FTP service like FileZilla or similar. Once the service has been enabled by Thrive Marketing Enterprise, you'll receive the following credentials:
- URL (transport.magnetmail.net)
Thrive Marketing Enterprise can automatically generate a failure report if an upload job fails and automatically send an email alert to one or more individuals. The report includes:
- the name of the file that was used,
- the group name that the file was mapped to, and
- any identifiable error message.
TIP: This is a simple way to ensure that you are alerted to upload failures and can easily explore the details of the failure.
To enable the failure report and notifications:
- Log in to Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations > Integration Settings.
- In the Failure Report section:
- Set Enabled to Yes.
- Click into the Run Time field and choose a time.
- Specify the email address of the person to be notified; separate multiple email addresses with commas.
- Click Save and then click Close.
Track and report on user activity
You can configure Thrive Marketing Enterprise to track and report on your users' activities (e.g., email opens, unsubscribes, event registrations, and website visits), and have the results data written to your integrated AMS/CRM database.
The tracking and reporting do not automatically happen. An Admin must select which activities to track and then schedule a synchronization with your AMS/CRM database to write the tracking results to it.
Configure tracking and scheduling
Tracking and the sync schedule are configured on the same page.
- Log in to Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations > [integration] Management.
(The name of your AMS/CRM will display instead of "integration.")
- Click the Manage Tracking tab.
Choose activities to track
NOTE: The Full Access permission for Tracking is required to be able to enable tracking. Thrive Marketing Enterprise recommends that you limit the number of Admins granted this permission. See Integration Access Levels & Permissions to learn how to set this permission.
In the Track the Following box:
- Check the boxes for the activities that you want tracked.
Check All Bounces to select all of its sub-options; uncheck it to deselect all sub-options.
- RESULTS: The Tracking History box displays daily historical results. Use the dropdown to specify how many records to display.
Schedule the sync
In the Schedule section:
- Configure the time you would like the tracking results written to your integration database.
- RESULTS: Information about the last sync displays in the lower right.
- Higher Logic recommends that the sync be set for off-peak hours to better ensure uninterrupted data transmission.
- If there were issues with the previous day's sync, this page provides detailed error descriptions for un-synced activities.
- Be sure to click Go to save your settings.
Replacing Thrive Marketing Enterprise records
Thrive Marketing Enterprise provides two options when uploading a Saved Search:
- Adding recipients - If add to existing list is selected, the upload process will only add recipient records to the selected group.
- Existing recipient records will not be updated or overwritten.
- Replacing recipients - If Replace existing list is selected, the upload process will replace all the existing recipient records (in the selected group) with the recipient records in the upload file.
- The recipient records that are removed (overwritten) are not deleted. Their records remain in the database but are removed from the selected group; there is no impact to their historical data.
NOTE: The "add" method is the default. To make the "replace" method the default, create a case.
If the "replace" method is selected, based on the unique identifier will overwrite the corresponding data that exists in Thrive Marketing Enterprise. This can be useful when there is one database of record that is constantly being updated.
NOTE: Add to Group will not update individual records in Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
Upload MemberSuite Recipients
All Saved Searches that are transferred from MemberSuite to Thrive Marketing Enterprise are referred to as an Upload Job. Upload jobs that are allowed via the integration are:
- Saved Searches must contain
- MemberID or Child Individual ID
- Sorted by MemberSuiteID, or ID
Transfer Lists from MemberSuite
Data can be transferred from MemberSuite to Thrive Marketing Enterprise via a scheduled upload or one-time transfer from within Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
The Real Magnet Upload Scheduler (RMUS) is a feature of the integration that allows for automated uploads to the Thrive Marketing Enterprise system; it is extremely useful in the event there are any Saved Searches that you send to on a regular basis.
It allows the following upload job types:
- Run Now - This upload job will run once. Once completed, edits or changes cannot be made to this upload job.
- On Demand - This upload job will only run when the green play icon is clicked or using the Sync on Send functionality. This will deploy the upload job when a message is scheduled to send to the group attached to the upload job.
- Scheduled - This upload job will run on a scheduled basis, either daily or weekly, and can be manually run by clicking the green play button. When selecting a group connected to an active Marketing Automation campaign, this option can also upload groups on an hourly basis.
The RMUS can be accessed by logging into Thrive Marketing Enterprise and selecting Settings. The details below will cover all aspects of the RMUS.
The following table describes the icons in the Actions column.
|Delete this upload job.|
|Edit this upload job. (On Demand and Scheduled jobs only.)|
|Run this upload job. (On Demand and Scheduled jobs only.)|
|Open the "reject report" dialog which has an option to download the list of rejected records in a text file.|
Upload Jobs tab
The Upload Jobs tab lists the upload jobs that have been created in your Thrive Marketing Enterprise account.
- Saved Search - The name of the Saved Search from MemberSuite.
- Date Created - The date the upload job was created.
- Job Type - Whether the job is Run Now, On Demand, or Scheduled.
- Frequency - The frequency of the scheduled job, for Run Now and On Demand this will remain blank
- Scheduled time - The times the job has either completed or is scheduled to run next.
- Start Time (HH:MM) – The time the upload job is scheduled to start.
- Last Run (MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM) – The time the upload job was last executed and completed.
- Next Run (MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM) – The next scheduled time it is set to run.
- Group Results - The group in Thrive Marketing Enterprise the query was uploaded to and the results of the last upload, that includes the total number in the group and the number added. Any error that may occur on upload will surface here.
- Actions - The allowed actions a user can make to the upload job.
Create an upload job
To create an upload job:
- Select Settings.
- Select Integrations.
- Select MemberSuite Management.
- Select Create Upload Job.
- Select a Saved Search.
- Select Create Map.
- Select View Entire Field List or One by One.
- Select which columns you would like to bring over to Thrive Marketing Enterprise. These are a one-to-one relationship when mapping fields. This means that you can only map the fields on the left side of the screen with one item on the Thrive Marketing Enterprise side once.
- Click Create Schedule.
- Select Create New Group or Add to Existing Group.
- Select either Add to existing group or Replace existing list.
- Depending on account settings the third upload step may reveal the option whether or not to update. Select Do not Update Existing Records (Only Add Records To Group) or Update Existing Records.
- Click Create.
- Select a frequency: Run Now, On Demand, or Scheduled.
- Click Submit.
Fields in the Thrive Marketing Enterprise system have the following character maximums. Make sure these are not exceeded when you are uploading records to Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
|Field Type||Character Limit|
|Email, Address 1, Address 2, all Custom Fields||100|
|First Name, Last Name, Phone, Fax, City, State, Zip Code||50|
|Enhanced Personalization Fields||250|
Manually upload saved searches
When uploading a Saved Search independent of the RMUS, you must include the ID and email address in order for tracking information to be reported to MemberSuite. Upon upload, you must map the ID column to the Custom Member ID field in Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
Thrive Marketing Enterprise data in MemberSuite
The only information to report back to MemberSuite is the tracking results of a message. This tracking information will update once a day.
View tracking data in MemberSuite
The Thrive Marketing Enterprise tracking data is displayed under the individual’s profile in the CRM > Activities.
The Activities tab can contain the following details:
- Type - This will contain the Activity Code. See Activity Codes and Subcodes for more information.
- Name - The Message Name from Thrive Marketing Enterprise. This is defined as either an Event Item Name, Survey Name, Campaign Name, Landing Page Name, or the Message Name in Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
- Date - This is the date the activity was recorded to MemberSuite.
- Status - This will contain Activity Subcodes. See Activity Codes and Subcodes for more information.
- Created By - The user that supplied the access credentials to Thrive Marketing Enterprise.
More information is stored in Description, which can be accessed by clicking Details:
- Group Name - If the message is sent to a group, this will display the group name, or if the unsubscribe setting for the account is by specific group (deprecated) this will populate with the group name
- Email Address - The email address in Thrive Marketing Enterprise associated with the activity
- Link Label - This is the link label
- Link URL - The URL of the link clicked or the website visited
- Unsubscribe Category - If there is a Message or Group Category assigned and an individual unsubscribes or subscribes this will populate with that category name
NOTE: The Activity will record as created, by the user login that generated the access keys.
View Marketing Automation information in MemberSuite
Once integrated Thrive Marketing Enterprise, a few additional items are available to you in MemberSuite.
Items in MemberSuite
- Additional Activity codes:
- Landing Pages Submitted
- Website Visits
- Goal Reached
There is currently no functionality to create new records in MemberSuite.