Demographic target groups organize your subscribers based on their demographic choices. With this information, you can start to understand the best ways to target specific groups through your mailings. Demographic target groups are so useful that Marketing Automation Professional (MA Professional) automatically builds them from any demographic categories you create.
A demographic is just another attribute of a subscriber. How do you populate a demographic? This occurs via the subscriber upload process. In this example, let's build target groups based on the “Gender” category in the sample set below. Note that when you build demographic target groups, a target group is automatically created for each available option.
In the example below, only Male and Female were used, resulting in two target groups being created. If additional options are added, like "Prefer not to answer," that would generate another target group.
In this article, you'll learn the two common ways to build Interest target groups:
- Manually build the target group
- Assign an Interest target group during subscriber upload.
Create a Demographic Target Group
- Navigate to Subscribers > Target Groups.
- Click Create.
- Select Demographics from the menu.
- Click Create in the pop-up.
- You'll now create a Demographic Category, which will become its own Target Group in MA Professional. In the Add Demographic Category pop-up, complete the form.
|Field Name||Give your field a name. This will be displayed when it's on a subscription form.|
Select one of the following category types:
|Default Value||While adding a default value is optional, doing so will ensure that if you use personalization in your mailing, and your subscriber did not fill anything out, there will be a default value used.|
|Selection Type||Define whether subscribers can only select a single demographic or multiple.|
|Display Type||Define whether to show the demographics in a drop-down menu or via radio buttons.|
- Click Save to display a new area where you can add your demographics.
- To do so, click the Add button, enter a demographic option, and click Save. Repeat this process to add as many demographics as you want.
- Click Save again at the bottom of the pop-up to create your new Demographic target group.